Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Museum and Emerald Sonoran Palo Verde Worms

Posted by alirab 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 18:39

We are new to the AZ area and for the second year in a row at this same time of year our palo verdes get their leaves eaten up by a gray looking little inch type worm. I believe eggs sacs are also on the tree because some kind of clear small beadlike things are also on the branches. The whole neighborhood has a problem with them. Is spraying the only answer? If so, what spray is recommmended?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Museum and Emerald Sonoran Palo Verde Worms

Do the trees recover later in the year? If they do, spraying would just damage the beneficial insects that also

If one tree seems heavily infested, see this page for a cheap remedy. It will work if the caterpillars - as they usually do - migrate up and down the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap vcaterpillar control

o

I have had the same problem with these worms on all of my Palo Verde's as well. I used malathion, which initially killed them, but in a week the entire trees were covered in worms again. Were you able to get rid of them, and what did you use?

o

Try BT. Green Light is one brand. Check your big box stores and nurseries.It leaves most benneficial insects alone. Here's some info from the U of Colorado:

Here is a link that might be useful: BT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here