Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike69o

Plumerias at Lowe's

If anyone likes plumerias, I just got home from Lowe's and they have some plumerias. There were about 20 or so.
I talk to the lady that brings them in and she said that most Lowe's would get some this week. May be worth checking.

I got four of them...any tips on how to take care of them. I was told that they do fine in our heat. Should I pot them in bigger pots or should I wait.

Love plumerias and I am ready to learn all about them. :)

Comments (7)

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

I started some from cuttings this year. I don't really know care wise, except for well draining soil.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the information, Mike, that's generous of you.

I love plumerias too, as do several of our other members. I've been growing them for ten years here and love them. They adore our heat, although in mid summer they appreciate some afternoon shade. They will NOT tolerate a hard freeze, so keep that in mind. I had several in the ground for many years (far N. Scottsdale) but the awful winter of 2012-2013) killed them. The ones I have in pots I brought in for the frosty nights and they look great.

This past winter I didn't bring ANY of them indoors and they were totally fine of course. I wish all winters were like this last one, hah! My largest 'Celandine' has five branches and is about 6 feet tall. It's covered in flower buds so I'm excited! I've got some dwarf ones in pots too, plus several that I started from for-tourist cuttings from trips to Hawaii. They're fun to grow and the scent ('Celandine' is my favorite) is wonderful!

Lots of sun, warmth, food and water when they have leaves (again afternoon shade in summer keeps the leaves from getting bleached/scorched), and then NO water when they shed their leaves in autumn. No hard freezes.

Folks in warmer parts of the valley can definitely grow them in the ground, as can folks with nice warm microclimates in their gardens (lots of hardscape and maybe an overhang), but for me, I keep my favorites in large pots to bring indoors on those rare frosty nights.

I'm sure others will chime in with their tips and tricks too.

Keep us posted (Toucan, too!) and happy gardening!
    Grant

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

Which Lowes did you see them at and are the Jungle Jacks? I have been patiently waiting for them to come in.

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Grant, that is a lot of information, thank it is much appreciated.

Houndmom, I got them at the one in Mesa 60 & Ellsworth (I think) but I talked to a couple of people at Lowe's and it seems like most of them are getting them. Yes all that I have seen are Jungle Jacks.

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: May 23

Lowe's in east valley got a shipment today. Elsworth and 60 has quite a few and so does Higley and 60.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

I picked up a Jungle Jacks, Devine at Lowe's this week-end. Very healthy looking plant. I have had a plumeria for 2 or 3 years, but it has not bloomed yet. I did some reading up on plumie care, and realized it was in too heavy a mix, they need a fast draining soil. I switched to a cactus mix, with a handful of perlite, turface, and coconut coir. You might read about Al's gritty mix, seems very popular on the plumie forum. Grant is spot on as usual, they need sun, warmth, food and water. The soil should dry slightly between waterings, and a high nitrogen food like Miracle grow will establish good roots for the first year, then you can feed them blooming food, I totally recommend Beastie Bloomz, everything that blooms gets fed with it. Good luck!

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

A slight change in the above, the new plumie from Lowe's, will get lots of Beastie Bloomz, since those are established plants. The high nitrogen food , like Miracle Grow, is more for newly rooted cuttings, like mail order plants. I just purchased a nice cutting from Hawaii, but the Jungle Jacks plants are already well on the way to blooming.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!