Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richsd

Does anyone know where to buy sulf acid?

richsd
13 years ago

I put a little acid in my irrigation water for my potted plants, but the Safeway stopped selling it. Anyone know where to buy sulfuric acid in the Phx area? Maybe auto part store (battery acid.)?

Comments (13)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

We use the battery acid mix from the auto parts stores in our quads. Same mix could be used for your plants just dilute. Don't get the battery water, not the same, it's distilled water only.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

richsd,

Also check the hardware stores (Home Depot/Lowes/Ace) in the drain cleaner aisle. Look for pure sulphuric acid on the drain cleaner labels. Avoid the ones with SODIUM HYDROXIDE and POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Pool acid. they usually sell "Muriatic" acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid.

• softmentor
    13 years ago

You may also want to consider using lemon juice. It's also very acidic (PH 1.8 to 2.3) and much more pleasant to work with and easy to pick up a couple of lemons at the store or pick one from your tree. Meyer lemons are a little less acidic than the others.

• richsd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangledmind: thanks for the suggestion to buy sulfuric acid in the drain cleaner isle of home depot. Sure enough, they had it. (although the label states it also has some stabilizers, which I don't know what that is, and I hope it's not toxic to plants. In any case, I'll use such a small amount per gallon of water it shouldn't matter. Rich

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

you're welcome Rich :)

• tracydr
    13 years ago

With the pool acid and drain acid, how much do you use? Everthing is looking chlorotic and I've already used tons of ironite, should I acidify or spray with chelated minerals?
    Where can I get a soil test?

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

tracydr,

Try IAS Laboratories

Here is a link that might be useful: IAS Laboratories

• softmentor
    13 years ago

the best way to acidify a soil is mulch. One of the many benefits is that as it decomposes it creates organic acids that then act on the mineral soil and reduce the PH and release nutrients.
    for pots, do consider lemon juice in your water, it's safer and much more pleasant to work with.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

My garden has tons of deep mulch. Even in the more established beds with rotted mulch things show signs of chlorosis. Are those cheap pH meter kits any good?
    I know my husband always has to acidify the pool water so I assume we're pretty high.

• softmentor
    13 years ago

Some of the water in AZ is pretty high PH too. Use your pool kit to test the water you irrigate with. I'm very fortunate that mine is 7.2, almost unheard of that low in our area. If you are at 8 or more, you may want to condition your water.

• richsd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey softmentor, what water district do you have? a ph of 7.2 would be awesome. I think City of Phoenix water's pH is around 8.1 (yuck.) That's why we all have such micronutrient problems in the valley. Rich

• softmentor
    13 years ago

we have a well of our own, 618 feet deep.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?