Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinaz_gw

Yet Another Privacy Hedgerow Question

jinaz
10 years ago

Hi,

I've been relentlessly reading all of the many privacy hedgerow / screen threads trying to get educated to make the right choice since it will be too laborious, time consuming and costly for me to live with regrets about it. I thought I was on the right track and now I have doubt, so I'm going to try to get some more insight before I pull the trigger.

Not long ago we bought a property in Queen Creek and it backs up to a road, which normally wouldn't be an issue for us, but on these lots they are the short "white fence" farm style instead of block walls or otherwise solid fencing that would provide privacy.

The land was farm land and the soil is very good for the most part. We already have a drip setup along the fence for when we get the plants in there. We have a span of aprox 150 ft' to line.

Oleanders are not possible due to animals. I was looking for fast growth to get it filled in as fast as possible, and we thought Hopseed (aka Hopbush?) was going to fit the bill for us. The guy at the nursery seemed to agree and wanted to show us a bigger specimen. He showed us what used to be a 10'x10' that is planted in ground on their land, which was now about a 3'x3' after the dead portions were cut back after last year's frost. I know the frost was harder than usual, but we can't afford to restart our screen after each winter so I think these are out of the question.

So this brings me to my question... what do you think would be a choice with these priorities in this order:
1) Evergreen and hardy, tolerating the winters

2) Privacy/Barrier - needs to be dense (we probably only want to keep them 3-5ft thick) and reach a minimum of 6ft in height.

3) Clean - The least mess it makes the better

4) Growth rate - The faster the hedgerow can fill in and reach height the better.

We saw a house down the road that lined their entire driveway with what I think are Japanese Privets that seemed to be thriving and were very high and dense. We also saw another property that had what appeared to be similar Italian Cypress but were much more bushy and hedgey, almost like big Xmas trees. Anyone know what those are?

Any ideas on a choice that will faciliatate our needs would be appreciated. From what I understand it seems like if we want a evergreen that will stand up to our winters I may need to patient since the growth is slower, which is OK if that is true. But if I can get something that fits our needs and grows quickly all the better.

Thanks!!!
-Jay

Comments (14)

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

I like my Privets. We have them on the fence line to help keep blowing dirt (vacant land) out of the pool. They also stay green in the winter without a problem. Last year we got down to 16
    We only water once in great while now as they are 8 years old. When we first planted them we watered alot and they grew fast. We keep them at my husbands height 6'2 so no ladder. We give them fert when we think about it. Easy to maintain.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

If you've got the patience to wait for growth, eunonymus (many varieties) is a great choice. Very dense, glossy green leaves, low maintenance and look good left to natural growth or pruned to shape. Nix any idea of hopseed; you'd be sorry. They don't need frost to die; any excuse will do.

Here is a link that might be useful: eunonymus

• huntszoo
    10 years ago

having the same decision to make with my white slat fence that separates our property from the main road. I am interested to see what others have used.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

This is not exactly a suggestion for privacy, but I've noticed some 3' fences have been used - with some additional support - for grapevines.

Do you want plants that grow on the fence, beside the fence, as tall-as-the-fence or higher than the fence?

Some suggestions here for low-height 'living fences', but I'd check with a nursery to see if a plant listed as Zone 9 will do well in *our* Zone hot-as-hell 9.

Here is a link that might be useful: living fences

• nel5397
    10 years ago

I would probably try Arizona Cypress or African Sumac.

• jinaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. We're looking for a hedgerow to live right behind the fence. I think the HOA has some restrictions on adding to the fence itself so trellis/vines probably won't work.

Campy, are yours Japanese Privets or another variety? Tomatofreak, thanks, I was under the impression they were pretty much evergreen here in AZ until I saw what happened to a large bush from the last winter and I'm glad I did. Once we invest the time and money into growing the hedgerow I can't afford to lose part or all of it each winter. I have a few of options in that family on my list that said they match zone 8 but I wasn't so sure how they actually fared in the Phoenix area so I am going to consider those as well.

If anyone else has been happy with their results on a hedgerow or plant suitable for one that is evergreen, can reach a minimum of 6' - with fast growing and low mess being a big plus I would love to here more in case I'm overlooking the "perfect" choice. =)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Lady Banks roses has worked for me. We have a 150' chain link fence line along the alley covered in a LB rose hedge. We're very happy with the decision and it has stayed evergreen each winter. Planted 2006 I think, somewhere around there. We've never trimmed the hedge on this side of the fence but the City requires we keep it trimmed back so it '.....does not touch the mirrors of the garbage truck.' on the alley side.

This picture is April 2010. They bloom once per year, in spring. (lots has changed in the yard since and we finally got a deck built around that hot tub - which will be converted to a cool tub any day now!!)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Also took down that ugly trellis. It took two years for the jasmine to climb up and cover it. And one hard winter to completely wipe out the growth. It's coming back but I was tired of looking at the trellis. I should get a fresh pic......

• jinaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that pic of the Lady Banks. We had considered that also. The only reason we are reluctant to go that route is the HOA makes it so your plants have to be exclusively on your side of the fence, so I was worried about containment and I would not be able to grow them on the fence, I would have to put up some sort of trellis to for them to climb up a few feet from the white picket "barrier" fence. They almost treat the fence as an easement of sorts, because some have put up traditional block walls for privacy but they have to be about 3 feet behind the white picket fence.

I like the Arizona Cypress, but on the flip side it might be a little too massive. There is a place down the road that has something that seems like it would work well, and it very well might be Arizona Cypress... they look like Italian Cypress but not in the slender spires, but much fatter and pyramidal. What throws me off is some of the pictures I've seen online show a more grey color tree with a "branchy" (not very dense) look, and some show them as green like Italian Cypress with a much more dense fill to them like Italian Cypress. So I'm not sure what the more appropriate examples or if some pics are even misidentified. I will investigate it further though. The Sumac is a nice tree and I would not be surprised if we added a couple at some point (the backyard area has over 1/2 acre that basically consists of grass and rock, no trees or bushes). To create a true barrier from the ground up I think I need more of a "bushy" option that covers all the way to ground level.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I am going to pull the trigger in about a week once, and leave time for any other suggestions. Right now I'm leaning towards the Japanese Privets (any other good privet for AZ?). The AZ Cypress is also on the short list if it is what I have seen at a nearby property like I described above.

Thanks again!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

So many great suggestions! I would second the vote for hop seed. I've got a nice hedge of it along the southwest portion of my garden and it's done great for years and years now. I watered them fairly often their first three summers but now I only slop water on them once a month in summer since they're large/dense enough that I don't really want/need them to grow any taller/thicker. Mine only got minor tip damage this past winter, and most around the Valley had only minimal damage too (other than very young, very small, recently planted babies, but even self-sown seedlings in my garden survived (N. Scottsdale)). I'd go for them if I were you.

Buuuut, youv'e got a lot of great suggestions too. Let us know what you select and how it works out. Fun discussion! Happy gardening everyone!

Grant

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

jinaz, I don't know what the bush was that died in the frost, but I doubt it was eunonymus. The ones along my front easement have lived through frost after frost after frost and have *never* suffered frostbite. Talk to a knowledgeable person at a reputable nursery.

I also don't know how Grant keeps his hopseed alive, but I can tell you that the entire row I planted a few years ago - for privacy - is entirely gone. They were on metered irrigation, too. The row that my neighbors planted along their front easement? There's one left. Imho, it is not a reliable plant.

I can't believe I'm saying this (I hate oleanders), but have you considered *dwarf* oleander? I have observed that they are really manageable - and actually very pretty with their pink blooms.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

jinaz---The privets that I have are -Waxleaf Ligustrum Privet
    Ligustrum Japonicum----Home depot
    Back of tag reads-Sun,spacing 5-6' apart, Ht 8'x6' wide, water use low once established, cold hardness 0 to 10 F
    I couldn't believe I still had the tag after 8 years

• jinaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info... I thought I would have made a decision by now but still haven't. I know I keep mentioning the "house down the road" but I am trying to figure out what they have. I keep forgetting to take a pic for ID. It looks like it is some form of Cypress, Arborvitae or maybe even a Juniper. I haven't got close enough to see the details to know for sure. The way they have them placed makes me think they probably don't do much to take of care of them, yet they seem to be thriving which is a big plus and they seem like they would make a very neat and clean looking hedgerow.

We are a fan of the waxleaf privet, but some of the nursery employees have tried to talk us out of them - and it is hard to tell if they are qualified enough to be taking their recommendations or not. Had everyone been giving a thumbs up on those I think they would have been purchased the same day.

Decisions, decisions... =P

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Well, now... Curiosity is a wonderful thing *unless* it can't be satisfied! You've got us all wondering along with you about those plants so for heaven's sake, go knock on the door and find out what they are! And post pictures. Inquiring minds want to know...

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus