Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Poor Thevetia peruviana

Posted by haname z9 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 19:15

My neighbor sold their house, to an investor who hired a handyman last fall to paint the house and trim the plants. I have a Yellow Oleander (Thevetia peruviana) that was planted by the previous owner of our house in a rather awkward spot, presumably to shade the patio and offer privacy from the neighbor. You know how close houses are placed these days. The side yard is only 4.5 feet wide. This Thevetia was planted close to the block wall and was cut back very badly by the handyman last fall.

Now, the plant is shooting out new growth in all sorts of awkward places and to add insult to injury, it has been attacked by some glassy winged sharpshooters.

I hope some of the members here can offer suggestions on what do do with this. When we moved here I knew the plant was badly placed, but it does help with shade and privacy (well, it used to).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Poor Thevetia peruviana

Yep, oleanders really want to LIVE! They will put out shoots like crazy and it is darn hard to actually damage them.

Was yours trained as a tree, a hedge, or allowed to be a shrub? I think what I would do is give it a little water and let it grow. Prune in the fall so it doesn't immediately put out a bunch of new shoots.

o
RE: My Poor Thevetia peruviana

It's trained as a tree, no room for a large shrub in that spot. So you think it would be best to allow the odd growth to do what it wants until fall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here