Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Preparing Pilosocereus for Summer?

xica_da_silva
11 years ago

Hi all,

Some of you may recall that I had planted a 2 ft. tall Pilosocereus cactus in my yard last fall (on the west side in full sun). So far, it has done great! He even grew a single beautiful creamy white bloom a month or two back, that I noticed early in the morning. I was hoping it would stick around but it was gone by the following day!

Anyhow, this may sound like a stupid question, but should I be concerned about the summer exposure to our extreme temps? I know in its natural habitat in the dry/hot Northeast of Brazil, it can at least handle temps in the 90-100s...but what about when we get to our averages of 105-110F on a regular basis? And I do have him surrounded by decorative rocks, so that probably makes it even hotter. He's seemed to have had no problems so far, but I'm wondering if I should rake some rocks away from his base to make it cooler, or even make some kind of shade? He's so pretty I want to make sure I keep him alive and healthy (I already know they're sensitive to frost, btw).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert