Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing Pilosocereus for Summer?

Posted by xica_da_silva (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 20:02

Hi all,

Some of you may recall that I had planted a 2 ft. tall Pilosocereus cactus in my yard last fall (on the west side in full sun). So far, it has done great! He even grew a single beautiful creamy white bloom a month or two back, that I noticed early in the morning. I was hoping it would stick around but it was gone by the following day!

Anyhow, this may sound like a stupid question, but should I be concerned about the summer exposure to our extreme temps? I know in its natural habitat in the dry/hot Northeast of Brazil, it can at least handle temps in the 90-100s...but what about when we get to our averages of 105-110F on a regular basis? And I do have him surrounded by decorative rocks, so that probably makes it even hotter. He's seemed to have had no problems so far, but I'm wondering if I should rake some rocks away from his base to make it cooler, or even make some kind of shade? He's so pretty I want to make sure I keep him alive and healthy (I already know they're sensitive to frost, btw).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing Pilosocereus for Summer?

Hiya Xica and all,

I've had one in the ground in my back garden in full nonstop sun for almost four years now and I've had zero problems with it summer or winter, including the record low temps of the 2010-2011 winter. I don't cover anything summer or winter and this plant has done just great. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but individual mileage may vary of course, LOL, so let us know how things go and what you do. I water mine once a week when it's HOT and maybe once a month when it's not. It's grown a lot since I got it.

I'm envious of the bloom on yours, by the way! Continued success with yours!

Take care,
Grant

o
RE: Preparing Pilosocereus for Summer?

Hi Grant!

Thanks! I was hoping you would see my question because I did remember you mentioning that you had one. I am really relieved that I won't need to create a shade structure for it, because I've already got my hands full with doing that for some other garden items!

I've been busy lately but am hoping to post a picture of it as soon as I get a chance. It's definitely one of my faves! Take care...and happy gardening!

Xica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here