Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neurotic_gw

Pink Jasmine Vine (Jasmine polyanthum)

neurotic
11 years ago

I planted 2 Pink Jasmine vines this Spring on an East facing block wall. I was told it would handle "full" sun but decided to er on the cautious side. Turns out even the east wall is a bit too much for it here in Tucson. The top of the vine has been burnt off after making it to the top of the wall and the rest of the plant looks super depressed and the leaves are curled badly despite ample water. The catclaw I planted next to them is happy as a clam of course!

I dug them up and planted them in pots on my porch for now.

Did I give up too soon? I noticed they have them in the shaded area at the local nursery. Will they still bloom in full shade? I don't know where else I can put them. Perhaps grown up a sumac tree is my only other option. Looks like I will be trying some crossvine in their original location..

Comments (5)

• vkmcgee2
    11 years ago

I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong but Jasmine and honeysuckle thrive in similar conditions. My honeysuckle grows very well between my house and the the garage. This is a ten foot wide piece of land that only sees direct sunlight around noon. The garage is a building about 20 feet wide, by 20 feet long. Half of it is a single car garage and half is a room. The house is in front of the room part of the building to the east of the garage portion about 10 feet. I also haven't watered the honeysuckle in years. I tried to put a trellis up for it but it doesn't seem to want to stay on the concrete walls. Even with all the neglect it keeps growing in a contained way just with the water it gets from rain and the overflow from when we fill the dogs water dish. If I watered it, it would cover the whole wall I think.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Those two plants may be related, but they definitely don't have the same characteristics. I have Hall's and Japanese honeysuckle. Hall's is one tough cookie; it doesn't really care where it's planted or how much care it gets. It also spreads everywhere. I had the pink jasmine planted along the east wall of my house and I loved the fragrant blooms in early spring. However, once the heat of summer hit full force, it gave up the ghost. I see it in the nurseries every year and every year, I'm tempted, but I know it is a summer sissy and not to be trusted to survive.

• User
    9 years ago

Jasminum Polyanthum grows in the rain forest where it seeks out sunlight - when it doesn't have "enough" sunlight it will grow, when it gets full sun it doesn't grow as fast. So, in the rain forest it can reach a height of 80 feet tall because it doesn't have full sunlight and it goes out to seek more sunlight. It doesn't need full sun to grow! But rather, filtered light is best. This promotes the plant to want to reach higher elevation, to get above the "canopy" it naturally grows under. In areas such as San Francisco it grows just fine in direct sun light, still can get quit large but not like in the rain forest. Also it's like 55-80F in San Fran. If you live in the desert, certainly, growing it in full sun light would burn it unless it is very large in size, well established root structure with adequate water supply, and is therefore able to protect itself. This means that, if it is big enough, the top would burn but it would protect everything else below the top of the plant. I would recommend planting the pot indoors, or at least in shade, until it's large enough to width stand the heat and intensity of full sunlight in your location. Keep it in a pot if you want to move it later, you would never be able to dig it up once it establishes itself in the ground. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasminum Polyanthum / Pink Jasmine - Garden Of Tomorrow

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

As far as I can tell, jasmine will not grow in Tucson unless you are very very good at it or you can find the right microclimate. Maybe both. The biggest one I have seen this year is on a commercial building's south (!) face and asphalt parking lot (!), but with overhead shade. It looks like it gets low direct sun only, and it's on drip. It's also old.

• iandyaz
    9 years ago

A lot of the time when they say "full sun", they're referring to an established plant in southern California. I've had good success with 2 varieties of jasmine by keeping them in good shade. One only gets direct sun until about 1 pm (and I shaded it some it's first year), and the other only gets early morning sun and late afternoon sun in the middle of the summer.

One of them is flowering like crazy this season, the other has a few flowers on it, but it's pretty new.