Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Jasmine Vine (Jasmine polyanthum)

Posted by neurotic Tucson (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 20:09

I planted 2 Pink Jasmine vines this Spring on an East facing block wall. I was told it would handle "full" sun but decided to er on the cautious side. Turns out even the east wall is a bit too much for it here in Tucson. The top of the vine has been burnt off after making it to the top of the wall and the rest of the plant looks super depressed and the leaves are curled badly despite ample water. The catclaw I planted next to them is happy as a clam of course!

I dug them up and planted them in pots on my porch for now.

Did I give up too soon? I noticed they have them in the shaded area at the local nursery. Will they still bloom in full shade? I don't know where else I can put them. Perhaps grown up a sumac tree is my only other option. Looks like I will be trying some crossvine in their original location..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Jasmine Vine (Jasmine polyanthum)

I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong but Jasmine and honeysuckle thrive in similar conditions. My honeysuckle grows very well between my house and the the garage. This is a ten foot wide piece of land that only sees direct sunlight around noon. The garage is a building about 20 feet wide, by 20 feet long. Half of it is a single car garage and half is a room. The house is in front of the room part of the building to the east of the garage portion about 10 feet. I also haven't watered the honeysuckle in years. I tried to put a trellis up for it but it doesn't seem to want to stay on the concrete walls. Even with all the neglect it keeps growing in a contained way just with the water it gets from rain and the overflow from when we fill the dogs water dish. If I watered it, it would cover the whole wall I think.

o
RE: Pink Jasmine Vine (Jasmine polyanthum)

Those two plants may be related, but they definitely don't have the same characteristics. I have Hall's and Japanese honeysuckle. Hall's is one tough cookie; it doesn't really care where it's planted or how much care it gets. It also spreads everywhere. I had the pink jasmine planted along the east wall of my house and I loved the fragrant blooms in early spring. However, once the heat of summer hit full force, it gave up the ghost. I see it in the nurseries every year and every year, I'm tempted, but I know it is a summer sissy and not to be trusted to survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here