Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Tree ID - found in Phoenix

Posted by sherizona 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 20:13

Greetings! Does anyone know what this tree is? The seed pods are about 7 inches long, very hard and inside the seeds are almost completely round, 10 to 11 in each pod, brown and about 5 to 8 mm in diameter. The leaves are teardrop in shape. Unfortunately this is the only pic I have. The tree is in Glendale AZ. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Tree ID - found in Phoenix

Could this be a Texas ebony? Seed pods look the same and it does have small thorns. The leaves fold up at night as well.

o

It looks like a carob.

This post was edited by AJBB on Fri, May 3, 13 at 23:26

o

Fun! It sure looks like a Texas ebony to me too. Let us know if you decide on an ID. Happy gardening!

o

Carob. the branches are wrong for a Texas ebony.

o

Looks like Texas ebony which is evergreen, dark green leaves on irregular 'zig-zag' branches, dark brown bark, small thorns, and woody seed pods. When it blooms the flowers are elongated white puffballs.

Botanists have changed its name to Ebenopsis ebano but it used to be called Pithecellobium flexicaule. Older references may have it listed that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Ebony

o

Yes, they have those zig zag thorny branches and the seed pods were rougher and thicker than carob pods. It also has those puffballs.

Like I said, the photo is terrible.

Thanks everyone!

o

As kids we referred to these as "the stinky trees".
FWIW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here