Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot Heaven

Posted by campv 8b Camp Verde (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 20:22

My tree is loaded and it is an eary bloomer. Didn't get the late freeze this year and I am so happy.
It almost looks like Christmas in May with the bird scare.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot Heaven

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 10:31

Wow, it's loaded! Let us know if the bird scare technique works, birds are my nemesis....

Kevin

o

Kev I use the bird scare every year have been for about 20 years. Works well for me. I only use it when needed so the birds don't get use to it. Soon as the apricot is done I will remove the scare and it will be used a again for the plum. Then the grapes and so on.

o

Nice looking tree Campy. Looks like a good year for Apricots.

Here in the valley mine have already ripened and been picked. This coming Fall planting season I'm thinking of planting two additional varieties of Apricots. They just seem to bear fruit early and heavy. With three trees I can stretch the harvest season from early May through late August.

o

What type of apricot is that? Katy? Sunkiss? I have both, but only my Katy has fruit on it and they are no where near to being ripe.

o

I was thinking of asking Campy the same question. Campy what variety is your tree?

Mine is a Royal Blenheim.

o

Sorry guys, I usually save all labels but not this one. The house was almost finished when we planted the bare root trees and everything was so crazy. Wish I had a name to give you, just know its an early bloomer for here and it came from HD or Walmart.

o

I didn't know apricots grew well here? Do they grow well in the valley though with our crazy heat.

o

I don't know toucan. I live in East Mesa and it gets pretty hot here. It produced a lot of fruit this year and I expect 2-3 times as much next year. I think apricots do just fine. This Fall planting season I plan to pull two plums and plant two more apricots.

Royal Blenheim planted November 2011.

Royal Blenheim Apricot photo 100_5185_zps0de3d630.jpg
Royal Blenheim Apricot photo 100_5184_zps2d259efe.jpg
Royal Blenheim Apricot photo 100_5183_zpsacc9c8e1.jpg
Royal Blenheim Apricot photo 100_5182_zps2771f43e.jpg
Royal Blenheim Apricot photo 100_5181_zps1a5938a5.jpg

o

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 18:20

Toucan,

There are several varieties that do very well here. Royal Blenheim, Tropic Gold, Katy, and Flavor Delight (which is technically an "aprium," but essentially is an apricot from all appearances). The trees seem to take the sun and heat better than a lot of other stuff that I've grown. In fact, my trees are so overloaded with fruit, I don't bother protecting them anymore. I just have way too much, unlike my plums.

o

You all got me real interested in an apricot tree. What is the very best tasting one. I don't have room at all, but will try to make room for one. The store bought ones are never that good is one ripened on the tree.

o

• Posted by campv 8b camp verde (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 18:58

Up date----- Not one bird peak- Made Apricot jam today . Using my dehydrator in garage at the moment with 5 levels full its a 24hr dry. Its in the garage because it creates too much heat
Not much into cobbler ---so what else

o

Apricots do well here (in Maricopa Co.) because we have little late frost and they are early fruit (usually May over by June) before the heat. Need cultivars with only 300 chills or less, though in some areas and where they are planted the 350 chills (ex: Tropic Gold) and 400 chills (ex: Royal, Blemheim) can be productive. Any fruit ripening in July-Sept is dicey here.

If you are only planting one I would probably go with the Flavor Delight aprium mentioned or Gold Kist apricot on Nemagard. As always, even self fruitful varieties do better with a companion cross pollinator.

Never heard of Sunkist???? If I had a big yard and was adventurous I'd plant Chinese, Hunza, OrangeRed and Robada apricots. They may or may not do well here (experimental), but they are new enough that their chill hours are not firmly established. But plenty of people said Blemheim would do horribly here and ahem they were wrong.

o

I agree! I have a Gold Kist and a Blenheim and they are both doing very well up here at the North end of the Valley and had a little fruit off of each (they are very young trees just planted this Feb.). Don't know why but I seem to have better luck with buying locally be it big-box stores or mom and pop nurseries rather then spending more for mail-order trees. Perhaps they have a little time to get acclimated at the local garden center...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here