Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first raised bed - questions

Posted by Oxboy555 Las Vegas (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:42

(I live in Vegas, but not too too different from Phoenix/Tucson)

Constructed bed will be about 8L x 4W x 2H.

Is there a preferred choice of material? Wood planks or Bricks/blocks? Pros and cons of each?

Should the inner walls, no matter which material, be sealed or lined with anything to protect against temp extremes, evap, soil escaping, rot/degradation prevention etc?

The bottom will be left completely open on bare soil for drainage and rooting.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first raised bed - questions

I've read some people put hardware cloth (wire mesh) in the bottom of the planter so critters can't dig holes and get into your plants.

o

I live in Arizona and I have 2 pallet beds, I toiled the ground soil then laid down weed cloth. I then laid the beds atop that. Just make sure if you trying to make an organic Garden Bed you do not use some sealants or stains on your wood. it can seep into the soil. I'm having great luck with Red Fingerling potatoes, Solar Boy Tomatoes and Mild Jalepeno. . Good luck, I'd love to see how it's going. I've also included a link to a Lady who is amazing! She has her degree in Urban Horticulture from ASU and is a practicing Horticulturist. Her page is awesome and VERy informative for desert gardening and landscaping.

Here is a link that might be useful: AZ Plant Lady

o

Yes, keeping the gophers out is a problem in Las Vegas so hardware cloth is pretty strongly recommended (I think the half inch mesh). Additionally co-lining with landscape cloth can repress weeds and grasses from coming up from the bottom.

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/ho/2010/fs1033.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Since you live in Vegas

o

Fun! Let us know what you do and how it works out! I prefer cinder blocks/wall blocks/bricks for raised beds here, but only because they seem to need less maintenance than wood. Either would be fine and if you start with wood and it falls apart eventually you could replace with wood or blocks. We'd love updates, so keep us posted! Happy gardening! Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden, so far, May 2014

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here