Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tapiozona_gw

Help with tomatoes

Tapiozona
12 years ago

I've tried to grow tomatoes for a couple years now and never fully managed to get anything edible out of it. This year I did a lot of research and have genuinely tried to make these guys grow but have run into a bit of trouble as of late. I planted rather late (maybe 30-40 days ago) and I planted in containers. (actually used canvas petsmart bags, based on the principle of this site (http://www.globalbuckets.org/p/grow-bags.html). My 4 plants have been doing great and looked very healthy up until a couple days ago. I've fertilized once using miracle grow and the second time using compost tea (brewed it for 2 days, using cow manure as the compost, molasses as a food source, and 2 bubble stones hooked to a fish tank pump.)

Now 3 of the plants have leaves which are curling upwards, like tacos. One of the plants has started to get a bit of yellow on the bottom leaves as well. I've read online about leaf curl disease but it seems odd that I'd get it planting in containers, using bagged soil. I'm thinking that it has to do with my watering and or the amount of sunshine the plants receive.

Currently they get full sun because it hasn't been terribly hot. I was planning no moving them under a pergula when it gets hotter (the slats will provide on and off shade as the sun moves across the sky) and then under shade cloth when it REALLY heats up. It can't be the amount of sun/heat at this point in the year can it?

Watering..that's what I'm not sure about. I water every other day and pretty much water until water seeps out of the bag. Could I be watering too much? The whole point of using canvas bags was that it makes it very difficult to overwater plants. I don't think I'm underwatering because the soil still has slightly damp if I stick my finger in it.

I'm really just lost at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County