Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richsd

Crape Myrtle success in Phoenix?

richsd
13 years ago

Has anyone had much success with crape myrtles in the Phx area? I had two; one died (I think to verticillium wilt), and the other one is doing good (10 ft tall). I'll take some pictures soon.

It's not bad looking, but not nearly as nice looking as the ones I've seen in northern California, Sacramento area.

Comments (12)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I have one, it's so-so. I'm not too impressed.

• User
    13 years ago

They are lovely trees in the right place, but Phoenix isn't it. We don't have the humidity they like.

• softmentor
    13 years ago

I do ok with them in Indio CA where it is even hotter. Mulch helps and make sure they have enough nitrogen for lots of green leaves. If they have too much flower and not enough leaf they will suffer and struggle. Also, don't prune off all those lower branches, let them grow more like a bush. That way they make shade for themselves.

• User
    13 years ago

Between the alkaline soils, the wind, the low humidity, and the elevated soil salt levels common in AZ it's going to take a lot of work and a bit of soil amending to make this tree happy.

Deep watering rather than occasional watering is especially important to somewhat control salt buildup.

Over the years it could end up being quite an expensive tree who's blooming season could be very unpredictable.

13 years ago

Jeez, wish I knew all this before I bought the one I did. Now I wonder what made me think I wanted it. :~:

13 years ago

Thanks Judy. Mine does not get much water, I'll fix that.

• Becky Klein-McCreary
    9 years ago

I'm in Green Valley, 20 miles south of Tucson. We have a Crepe Myrtle that is gigantic and full; not trimmed like a tree. I water it maybe once a year, nothing else. It was established when we moved here in 2007, so I don't know what former owner did. It was maybe 6 feet tall; now its' at least 10 feet tall.

I did learn that flowers don't grow on the former season's wood; you have to cut off old blooms/wood. Mine is in profuse bloom now and has been for 2 months. I had one come up volunteer in the spring and now it's 3 feet tall; it does get water.

I think mine responds positively to the admiring comments of others and nothing that I do. ;-)

• RickAndApril
    9 years ago

We've got two. One is happy, the other not so much. Crazy thing is that 6 months ago the happy one was sad, and the sad one happy! Definately wouldn't do them again here in Phoenix.

Rick

• richsd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree- not for the novice Phoenix gardener. Too alkaline for their liking.

• azmom
    9 years ago

We had one in the front yard of a house we sold 20 years ago, I suspect it helped us selling the house.

We planted it as a young tree. It was healthy and beautiful when blooming. It attracted Hummingbirds that made nest.

All we did was deep water, more often when in summer.

• iandyaz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mary, how is your crepe myrtle doing now? I'm considering the options I have for planting mine in the ground and I'm thinking a really good spot for it would be on the side of my house, but it only gets 4-5 hours of direct sun all year round there (there's about 3 hours more of dappled sunlight). Is yours in part shade?