Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesatyler

Boston Ivy in Arizona

MesaTyler
11 years ago

Hello, I'm new to the site. I am located in Mesa, AZ. I just finished putting in my sprinklers in my backyard and am going to start planting trees and vegetation etc. I have always loved the Boston Ivy Vine and want to plant it on my back block fence. My question is how well will it do in the Arizona sun and Heat? According to the Planting Zones, it will grow but I don't know how accurate that is. If you know anything about the Boston Ivy Vine and how it will do in Mesa, Arizona I would love to know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Tyler

Comments (10)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Tyler, I don't know about Boston ivy, but English ivy will grow here, depending on several factors. I had E. ivy growing on the north wall of a previous home. It was so vigorous, it penetrated the wall and appeared on the ceiling of a bedroom. A few blocks away from where I live now, there's a house facing west with beautiful bed of E. ivy close to the house - but it does have shade from a large tree. Keep in mind that a block wall will increase the already ridiculous heat our plants will be subjected to any day now. Which direction does the wall face?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

The best looking house on my block had e. ivy all over the front, facing north. Beautiful.
    I say it WAS, because the lovely owners sold and idiots moved in and tore it out. Now the place is an eyesore.

• MesaTyler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Block Fencing that I am looking to cover is facing South and West. I am planting a couple trees but prob won't give much shade for a few years. So you think the E. Ivy might struggle in full sun? Also, I believe I read that the Boston Ivy loses it's leaves in the winter, is that correct for the E. Ivy also?

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

English ivy definitely does not lose its leaves in winter. At least not here. I think anything you plant just before the Gates of H3[[ open will struggle. Sitting in the blazing sun with ambient heat well over 100 degrees with little head start on root structure probably stacks the deck against survival. If you're determined (and so many of us are), you might rig up some shade cloth over the plants.

• MesaTyler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this vine on a house a few miles away and really like it! Does anyone know what kind it is?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

That stuff won't take full sun. I have gone temporarily amnesic and cannot remember the name! I had some, in the shade under a big tree and it did well, climbed up the block fence. Pretty. Creeping fig! I remembered.
    You'll like it, just not on your hot fence. The east side of the house.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Welcome to the site! We hope you'll post a lot about your garden as you continue to develop it. We love updates, and pics especially. :)

I've not tried Boston ivy here, and don't believe I've seen it either, but I'm curious to hear what experience our other local gardeners have with it. The Desert-tropicals website indicates its fine in this climate, so it might be worth a try. I'll put their direct link below.

Your pic is great by the way. It's the mature foliage on creeping fig, Ficus pumila, and like the others mentioned it does NOT tolerate hot sun here, although it thrives in shade. Young growth is very flat and small-leafed and sticks close to the object it is climbing, but as the plant matures it makes thicker, larger, leatherier (is that even a word?! more leathery is what I mean, LOL) foliage that sticks out 6-12 inches off whatever its climbing. Either way it's a neat plant for shade.

I've grown 'Tangerine Beauty' crossvine (not orange trumpet creeper) in full sun for years and it's done great with occasional irrigation, although it needs help climbing.

Let us know what you select and how it works out!
    Happy gardening and do post often! :)
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Short entry on Boston Ivy on Desert-tropicals website

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

As long as you already have irrigation ... you might want to consider Hardenbergia violacea. It has neat, lance shaped leaves and in the early spring a gorgeous display of purple blooms. I *think* they're evergreen here...

Another really nice vine is Passiflora cearulea - it will need something to cling to. "Incense" is also really great. Both will attract Gulf Frittalary butterflies, and although their caterpillars will defoliate the vine somewhat, I never minded them; they never did enough damage to my vine to be a problem - P.caerulea is pretty dense. It was getting flood irrigation twice a month in the summer and was quite happy in pretty hot sun up until about 3 or 4:00.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Here's a can't-miss vine for covering a wall: Silver Lace vine. I bought one, didn't believe it would tolerate full sun and planted it in shade. Big mistake; it likes sun, looks very pretty and will cover a wall in no time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Lace Vine