Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
epsom salts

Posted by desertmama_bhc az low desert (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 22:58

Hi everyone ! Just wanted to let you all know my roses and dong quite well, thank you very much ! I did have to move Cybil (the blue moon rose) into a bit more shade...But she's blooming repeatedly...Mr. Lincoln is a bit slower, but very healthy appearing !

Gracie (my new gardenia) seems happy enough on the south deck, out of direct sun, her pot sitting on a nice two inch deep, round plastic tray full of pebbles and water !

Temps are now varying between 88 and 101 highs, so I'm cautiously hopeful for Gracie in particular ! I found my very favorite annuals, portulacas ! I absolutely adore these delicate appearing, yet very desert friendly, plants ! I say "found", because last year I had to search in three different garden centers to find them !

I have used recycled mulch on any and everything !

My question to you all : I've heard that a lot of gardeners swear by epsom salts, either sprinkled dry or used in water as a spray as defense against aphids !

I'd really appreciate hearing any and all comments !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: epsom salts

NOt for aphids but great for adding Mg to the soil twice a year.

o

Kitchen chemists mix 1-2 drops of liquid dish detergent to 24 oz water in a spray bottle. Aphids shouldn't be a problem in 100F temps, though. You can also use 1 oz baking soda to 1 gallon of water to control aphids. Add 1 tbl bleach OR ammonia to control powdery mildew. Again, shouldn't be a problem in 100F temps.

Spider mites, OTOH, are here and can be controlled by spraying the undersides of rose leaves 2-3 times a week with a hard jet of water. You can purchase a multi-port water wand or trade out the water wand head with a brass hose nozzle and adjust it for a hard spray. Always hose off your roses right after a wind storm. Mites like dry, dusty leaves.

o

i was told marigolds keeps aphids and a few others away pretty well so i incorporated them into my garden. but roses are taller so im not sure if that would work.

i found a link for you, it's 10 natural or homemade aphid repellants. i love google!

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 eco friendly aphid pesticides

o

Gardenias love epsom salt. I sprinkle the soil around mine as soon as noticed older leaves turned yellow. No yellowing anymore. I got my gardenia veitchii this spring, it is blooming and so pretty. I can not believe it is doing so well when 95F outside. I have to water every day (it is in the plastic pot) sometimes twice a day. Water rinses Magnesium fast from the soil, so adding epsom helps.
Do you mist your Gracie gardenia? Mine started to open flowers after I start misting it a couple times a day with distill water....

o

The old fashion, small flower, French Marigold is the variety that is referenced when discussing it repelling ability. Most swear by them but some say no but I think the noers are using the modern MG.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here