Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny black, gnat like bugs infesting concrete walls outside

Posted by whitelotusaz 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 23:09

I am wondering if anyone else is seeing these little black bugs in their yards? They are tiny, black gnat like bugs but they crawl fast especially in the sunlight, they actually act like ants. They don't seem to fly. They are covering the concrete walls and rocks outside, but not really near the plants as far as I can see. Any ideas on what they might be? Sorry, too tiny to take a picture yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny black, gnat like bugs infesting concrete walls outside

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 10:36

I have a ton of them at my house too, no clue what they are. They don't seem to bother any plants that I've seen.

Kevin

o

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 11:09

I have a ton of them at my house too, no clue what they are. They don't seem to bother any plants that I've seen.

Kevin

o

Sounds like springtails to me, I have them and they are not easy to get rid of. Check the article below.

Here is a link that might be useful: BugSpray.com

o

Could be fungus gnats?

Those are the most common with plants or humid conditions, and weak flyers, but you said no plants..

How big are they?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus gnats / fruit flies

o

I get an infestation of fungus gnats now and then. They die out by themselves if you take away their breeding grounds, e.g., counter compost, wet plant soil or a potato left too long in the veggie basket. I don't think that's what the bug is that whitelotus initially asked about. I have no idea what it is, but it could be this interesting little bug that is rumored to eat anything except cast iron. I'd never heard of it before.

Regardless, they're probably gone by now and - in any event - poisons are totally uncalled for. One of my searches turned up a query by someone who bug-bombed their house. How stupid can you get? I'd rather have the bugs!

Here is a link that might be useful: drugstore beetle

o

It sure sounds to me like the minuscule black ant that is on a lot of my plants esp my lemon/limes. I have tried several diff means to get rid of them but as I was reading about them they don't really do much damage to the plants. The black gnats that fly I have every spring in my guesthouse and in the main house but not as much as in the former. They are ridiculous! I bought 2 zappers 2 years ago and that's how I deal with them. I don't exterminate. I spray the doorways and lintels about once every 3 months but i def don't exterminate. I live in cottonwood in sunlakes and the amount of exterminating my neighb do is ,I m o, disturbing. For outside pests I also purchased lady bugs twice in spring and then in late spring I got 3 praying mantid nests. The biggest problem I have, if you want to call it that, is the little webs that will spring up all over the outside walls. I spray them down(with water) or sweep them off. If I don't they will cover everything.

o

Ahhhhh, a voice of reason! Nearly every year, we have several days of some insect that looks much like a flying ant. They invade the kitchen, but no other room. They never appear to chew on a plant - or eat anything else for that matter. We put up with them for their short vacation because we know they'll leave. There is no good reason to poison every living insect, especially if, like the ones we've mentioned here, they do no harm. One of these days humans are going to look like some of the mutant creatures invented by Hollywood for sci-fi films. ;O)

o

Sorry to bump, but it appears I might have the same issue one year later. I got a good shot with my macro camera and hope that someone might be able to identify these guys since I have thousands of them.

o

those are false chinch bugs

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05603.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here