Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
az_pamperedchef

Tomatoes almost ready!!

az_pamperedchef
14 years ago

I'm so excited that my first tomatoes of the season are almost ready.

This is a pic of my Beefmaster tomato.

http://s933.photobucket.com/albums/ad173/az_pamperedchef/

Comments (12)

• mangledmind
    14 years ago

Nice, ours are still not even close to being at that stage.

• greendesert
    14 years ago

hmm. mine are all still green. Got started a bit late, but at least they look healthier than last year, so perhaps we might get a few good ones this time around.

• mister_gin
    14 years ago

Nice! When did you plant those?

I've got some nice clusters of Big Beef that I really want to ripen soon. They seem to be taking their sweet time about starting. Sungold has already produced a few ripes ones and Stupice are starting to ripen now.

• toad51560
    14 years ago

My Big Beef are loaded with nice clusters also. Every day I think today is the day to start ripening.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mr. Gin- The Beefmaster & Cherokee Purple I bought from Costco and transplanted. The past fall and this spring they've had a nice collection of heirloom tomatoes started in 8" pots. Last year I planted Black Krim, Beefsteak & Brandywine. I had tomatoes from those plants until January.

The Mr. Stripey, Green Zebra, Brandywine & Orange Oxheart were in 3" pots when I transplanted, so are not as big as the others.

I have 12 different heirloom tomato seeds, but after 2 failed attempts of started them I gave up! I will try again this summer for a fall/winter crop. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of my Cherokee Purple:
    {{gwi:405854}}

• mister_gin
    14 years ago

I did not know Costco sold tomato plants. I'll have to keep that in mind this fall. One of these years I'll try to grow a big variety other than a hybrid. I've got some beefsteak seeds but opted to go with two Big Beef plants instead.

Speaking of Big Beef. These things are just taunting me now. They're well within their ripening window, but they just sit there staying green. I don't know how a truss can support six or seven of these suckers. Oh well! I'll probably notice some blushing later now that I mentioned this. Some yellow pears are even starting to ripen before them.

I don't really have any seed starting tips. I pretty much just start a few seeds in clear Starbucks cups and go from there. Clear is supposed to be a no-no, but I've had no problems. I've had bad luck potting up so I just start the seeds a little lower in the cup and add more mix as the plant grows taller. Five of my six plants were started mid December. The Stupice was the only one purchased this spring.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mr. Gin-

I realize I didn't answer your question: I transplanted in March. My CP from the picture was much more ready this afternoon, so I plucked it off! I can hardly wait to have it with my dinner.

• tracydr
    14 years ago

Some of mine just started blushing but they have a lot of shade until the afternoon so I wasn't expecting them to be ready too early. Plus, I've realized in the last couple of weeks that this new tomato bed has a lot of work to be done to improve the soil.
    Anybody have any suggestions for best fall varieties? Are they the same as spring or should I go for the shortest DTM? Also, when is your favorite fall plant-out date? Already trying to get ready to plant my fall seed. I figure I'll be planting seeds around mid-June if putting in the ground during August. Want to plan on replacing all determinates and probably at least half the indeterminates so I'll probably be starting about 50 seeds, making sure I have a few extras just in case I lose more during the summer than I expect.
    Hoping I get to taste plenty of my varieties before starting seeds so that I can pick some favorites. This is my first year growing heirlooms. I'm so excited!

In the past two weeks I've dumped about a ton of vermicompost, store-bought compost, organic fertilizer, ironite, and alfalfa pellets around my plants. Finally they are starting to pop out of their moping stage (I think I have a nitrogen deficiency plus lots problems with drainage/heavy clay) and I have lots of new growth, plus new blossoms and fruit set. I do have plenty of fruit that set before everything stopped growing a couple of weeks ago but nowhere near what I'm sure these plants are capable of putting out.

• greendesert
    14 years ago

Well whadya know, I had ripe tomatoes and I didn't even know it. I had let them sprawl on the ground and the grass was masking them. I went to tie them up and lo and behold, there were several ripe Violet Jasper tomatoes, which I've never had before. They are definitely on my favorite variety list now. Very low acid (I hate the tart ones). I have some of the Pruden's Purple variety which is one of my favorite and they're pretty big now at about 1 lb, but they're not yet turning red.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a nice surprise for you Greendesert!

Tracydr- I understand your excitement. I'm the same way, my husband laughs at me that I go out first thing in the morning and when I get home from work to check my plants! I have about 12 different kinds of tomato heirloom seeds that I've been trying to get started since last year, but don't seem to have the touch. I will try again in July for a fall harvest. We'll see how it goes.

Since my first post I've picked six Beefmasters & 3 Cherokee Purples. I'm disappointed at the flavor of the Beefmaster, sort of mild. The CP's are good. First year with them.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    14 years ago

The warm temps last week really helped to get the fruit to pop. Picked my first three 'fruits' today, 2 crookneck squash and a Sioux tomato that's just getting a blush. Will ripen on the counter.

pampered_chef, I have had good success with my seed starting but it's not a short story, many factors.

- air circulation
    - good seeds with a high germination rate (from a good seed source
    - I use the BioDome from Burpee, the plugs that go with the unit and a heat mat under seedlings
    - a flourescent hanging 'shop' light with good bulbs, one red, one blue
    - bottom water with a weak solution of cammomile tea.

That's pretty much the nutshell version. Key points.

good luck. Try, try again!!!

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

Woohoo! The Big Beefs are finally starting to ripen for me. These pictures are from a couple of days ago. I've since pulled them and they are now ripening in the house.

{{gwi:405855}}

Large Red Cherry finally ripening as well.

{{gwi:405857}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More garden pictures here.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations