Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to water my clay soil?

Posted by reversethong (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 23:52

Ok, so I put a semi-dwarf Cara Cara and a 5 gallon Wonderful Pom in the ground 3 weeks ago. I did a really deep soak after planting. I've only watered one since because my moisture meter keeps saying the soil is wet. I have reddish brown clay soil and this is a new home 1 1/2 yrs old. The clay is staying moist, but I'm worried that it is just the soil type and I may need to water more. I did no amendments based on recommendation on this forum. Do I watch my meter or do I water on a schedule? I'm new to in ground planting. Any tips would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to water my clay soil?

To confirm you meter, using a long screwdriver or other long firm rod, insert it into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil but will not pass through dry soil easily. Once confirmed or not will determine your watering schedule.

o

Is it normal for clay soil to retain moisture like this?

o

Yes!

o

Ok, thanks, I guess I just have to water less as result.Maybe the scorching heat on the way will fix that? :)

o

Make sure you are probing the root ball. While clay soils hold lots of water, the planting mix from the container has no clay at all and may dry out quickly. It's important to keep the root ball moist (but not soggy) until roots have chance to establish in the surrounding soil.

This summer you will probably need to water at least once a week. Applying a layer of mulch on top of the soil will slow evaporation and keep the soil cooler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here