Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpitts_gw

Fire Blight on Apple Trees?

dpitts
14 years ago

I am worried that my big old apple trees might have fire blight, but am not quite sure. I can't seem to find anything on fire blight in the GW AZ forums... The pictures and links I have found online don't look quite like it, mainly because they only seem to affect new growth and fruit. I am concerned because the big main branches and trunk of my trees are what seems to be affected, and the new growth and apples are all coming along just fine. It is dark now, so I can't go take a picture.

Let me describe: There are several spots that look like some bird bored holes in all around some of the big branches, but they are rectangular holes, not round. There appears to be some oozing from these hole, as they look wet/dark gray. But also, some of the big branches have turned a dark gray (wet or almost burned looking) and you can see the gray running all the length of the branch. The bark on the trunk is peeling, pretty severely. Some of the new growth (i.e. apple-bearing branches) seem to be growing in a crook shape. I am not sure what type of apple tree they are (we moved into this house a few years ago and these trees have to be at least 15-20 years old) but they turn yellowish with a rose blush. We have two old beautiful trees that appear to have the problem, and one younger tree that seems ok.

Please help! If it is fire blight, what am I supposed to do at this point? Can we save the trees? If it isn't fire blight, what could it be?

Thanks so much!!

We live in Gilbert on a flood irrigated lot.

Comments (2)