Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calb_gardner

drumstick tree

calb_gardner
14 years ago

I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great.

I have a hole in my yard that I was going to put a peach tree in ...But ...I could change my mind...

How do I get one or some seeds???

Comments (12)

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi calb_gardener,

The seeds for the drumstick plant is available echonet.org and the plant is available in many florida nurseries. The seed bears fruit in one to two years so starting from seed should work out well. The plant needs a little frost protection the first year. It grows very fast if sown in ground after germination. The leaves and flower and pods are edible and have many medicinal uses. It helps in high blood sugar reduction and also for lowering sugar in blood. There are many other uses. Plant just tow seedlings as this is a big tree but can be trimmed to just 4' every year in winter.

Padma

Padma

• Ullaskedia_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I planted 2 drumstick tree last summer (year 2010) by seeds in Phoenix, AZ. One grew to 6 ft, and second grew to 12 ft. Both had good foliage. One had some flowers too. However, this frost last week has killed all the foliage. Should I trim the trees down? Will the tree come back? Somebody help please. Thanks
    Ullas

• chaman
    13 years ago

I have Dwarf variety of drum stick plant to be exchanged for Kankoda roots.

• sundrop07
    13 years ago

Ullas, I wouldn't cut the tree back til threat of frost is over and it starts budding out again then cut off the dead part. They should be fine. I saw one of these trees in Phoenix that froze back in '07 and is now 15 ft. tall and healthy.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I just bought some seeds from ebay (someone selling them with "buy it now" instead of an actual auction). The seller is right here in the Phoenix metro and the plants are from their own tree. Just a thought. I'm excited to plant these in my current garden. Take care!

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

My little ebay seeds arrived lightning fast (I planted them the first day of course, LOL) and they're already sprouting (indoors in a pot of potting soil in a sunny window). I'm excited! If anyone wants the seller's username just email me. Hopefully these will become fun, productive plants for me.

Happy gardening!

• sundrop07
    13 years ago

Moringa, or drumstick tree, put on a considerable tap root very quickly and shouldn't be kept in a pot very long. A friend in Tempe planted seeds in his yard late last spring, you can see how they've grown in just a few months here: www.gardenersofeastvalley.org . Click on "photos", JP's moringa trees. They are amazing trees, it will be interesting to see how much they grow this year.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Thanks for the website and the pics, they're both really fun. Your friend's plants are huge! I love them. I'm planning on growing them mostly for the beans but I need to read up on uses for the foliage too.

Thanks again and let people know if you get seeds and seedlings. I thinned my babies down to two plants and will repot them in a bit--even though they are tiny, they're starting to look like they'll enjoy more space.

Take care,
    Grant

• sundrop07
    13 years ago

I'm anxious to try the beans also but I do plan on drying more leaves for tea and powder to add to cooked dishes. It will be fun learning about it's many uses!

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Fun! Well let us know what uses you find for the foliage. It's fun to compare notes on things like this.

Take care all,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Alrighty, I thinned mine out and repotted the two largest seedlings each into their own pot this past weekend. They're really cute little plants. Pic is embedded below and at the link below too. Keep the updates coming!

{{gwi:405977}}

Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My drumstick seedlings at one month from sowing

• haroldws
    9 years ago

Interesting thread that I missed until now. How is/are your tree(s) Grant by now? Does it take a lot of room? I think I would like to try it. Thanks!