Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
port_a_bella

Getting Rid of Cockroaches???

port_a_bella
15 years ago

When I dig in certain areas of my yard, I sometimes dig up tons of live cockroaches. I know that many people use boric acid to kill them, but i'm concerned about my pets (3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 tortoises) and benificial insects. Is using boric acid the only route, w/o using synthetic chemicals? btw, my yard is organic. thanks!

Comments (6)

• azarborist
    15 years ago

Congrats on your organic yard!

If you are looking to kill them directly you have several options.

Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap: a cap-full per quart of water sprayed directly on them will kill them.

Coconut oil will suffocate them and peppermint oil will also kill them.

As a deterrent, you can use garlic oil around the nest/hive (not sure what the proper term is) to 'try' to keep them from coming back. Add a few drops to water. Use this sparingly as all insects are deterred by garlic.

Your concern about the use of boric acid around your pets is justified. It should not be used where there is a chance of ingestion by animals.

I'm sure you're aware that you should use these in a small area only when necessary and not as a broad spectrum or you may end up driving the beneficials away as well.

Hope this helps.

• port_a_bella
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize that there were so many options out there. As far as the coconut oil goes, do I have to spray them with it? If so, I guess the most effective method would be for me to disturb the "nest" so that they come out, and then start spraying. You're absolutely right, I don't want to kill the beneficial insects in my yard. Every now and then, I'll see a lizard in my yard. I'm wondering if I should create a "habitat" for them with the hopes that they'll help keep the cockroach population down.

• azarborist
    15 years ago

Yes, you have to spray the roaches with the coconut oil. I haven't done much research on lizard habitat. Well, other than keeping those nasty chemicals off our properties. :)

If you find something that works let me know. I'd be glad to hear about it.

• port_a_bella
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, i'm going to try to do some research, and see if i can create a lizard habitat. i'll let you know if i find anything useful or interesting.

• teesaz
    15 years ago

I have heard good things about diatomaceous earth. There are different kinds of it, some used in pool chemical supply and then some with the insecticide. I guess depends on how much silica it contains. It is an all natural product. If you google the garden guy channel 3, He has talked about diatomaceous earth alot. It also kills scorpions.

• aztreelvr
    15 years ago

Generally cockroaches like damp environments, so I would check to see that you aren't overwatering your yard.

For great information on controlling cockroaches (and other household pests) using non-toxic or least toxic solutions, use the UC Davis web site on integrated pest management (IPM).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cockroach Control

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs