Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papyrus

Posted by euqruob Phoenix AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 0:31

I was at Lowes the other day, and they had Egyptian Papyrus, but no real info on it.

I researched it, its a reed, grows in very moist or boggy conditions, its much like bamboo, rhizomes, grows very fast, tolerates heat, and its beautiful it has a frilly top that looks almost like an air plant. I bought one, and have it submerged about 4 inches from the top in my pond. But, its taking up a lot of space, and its not really secured, it could tip, I plan on putting it in a much larger planter and keeping it near the pond and submerged.

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow, its a great plant, never seen it in AZ.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papyrus

Yeah I saw these in a few nurseries this spring. Very neat looking plant, but I think it'll burn up in the dead of summer here, but with enough water, it'll survive, but it just won't look pretty.

o

If it grows along the Nile it should like Phoenix.

o

p>

I will probably move it out of the pond, its taking up too much space, will immerse it in a standing pot...

o

Love it! I grew several of these in large glazed pots on the patio of my last garden and they did great. The pots were deep, and I weighed down the submerged papyrus pots with large bricks (also submerged) to keep them from tipping over. They did great and always got a lot of comments. They got half a day sun.

Yours looks great in the pot and if you decide to move it to a pot I'm sure it'll look great there too. I had large, glazed no-hole heavy pots from Vietnam for mine. My pots were large enough that I kept some mosquito fish (Gambusia) in them to make sure no mosquitoes got started, but you could also float some mosquito dunks in there too.

Let us know what you do and how it works out. There's a miniature type of papyrus too that you can grow the same way, although it actually does self sown a lot and you'll find it popping up anywhere that gets regular water. I even see it in median plantings around the valley.

Keep us posted!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Miniature papyrus (Cyperus alternifolius)

o

Predictably, it fell over the other day, its not stable enough in the pond, I want some large pots, but the prices are a bit steep. The pond has 6-8 mosquito fish in them, I bought 10, but they move so fast, I can never count more than 6 at a time. Know any place to get some big pots? I've traveled all over SE Asia, and I love seeing the pots full of water plants (and little fish), really would like to have several going. I want to get some Taro going in pots, I tried in the pond, but the fish ate the taro roots before they could sprout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here