Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes, anybody else harvesting yet?

Posted by greendesert (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 0:46

My first grapes are ripe... "Blueberry" variety, and I think I died and went to heaven. These are not seedless, and very different from the store bought ones, but oh man, to me it's almost like eating Starburst candy. The skin is firm, the berries seem almost pressurized, when you bite into them they just sorta explode in your mouth with sort of a crunch. The taste is pretty sweet and tart at the same time and I do think they have a hint of blueberry taste. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this variety. People that are picky might not like them though, they're definitely not in the "commercial grape" class, and like I said they do have some seeds, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: blueberry grape photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes, anybody else harvesting yet?

here's a photo.

Also, I wanted to say I'm rather disappointed with the "Fantasy Seedless" variety. They bore some nice big clusters, but now that they're ripening, they're cracking very badly. Not sure what I can do about that since they're getting some graywater so I have to manually control the water they're getting. They did better than the Thompson seedless as far as resisting mildew, the ripe berries taste very good. Also they seem to be ripening very uneven, lots of ripe and unripe berries mixed in clusters. The blueberry variety seems like the whole cluster ripened at once.

o
RE: Grapes, anybody else harvesting yet?

Any minute now!! I have a new grapevine that has 2 bunches on it, and they are reddening up nicely. I tasted one yesterday and it was only just starting to sweeten up. I'm not sure how much longer it will take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here