Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
english_gw

How do ficus rubiginosa/benghalensis do here in Phoenix?

english
17 years ago

I have been researching in order to find some more rare types of shade trees (evergreen/tropical). I am interested in ficus rubiginosa and ficus benghalensis but haven't seen any mature specimens or known anyone who has one. Does anyone have experience with these trees or know where I can find mature specimens? Also do you know where I can find any in a 24" box?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments (5)

• azjeff
    17 years ago

Paul, ficus benghalensis, the Banyan Tree, does extremely well in the Valley's warmer locations. There are some large specimens in Scottsdale, Mesa, the zoo and at some resorts. Ficus rubiginosa does very poorly here but I have seen a few that are surviving in the right location. They seem to like a cooler, wetter climate. Ficus religiosa and f. racemosa are two others that do very well here. Good luck finding a 24" box, as I've not seen any. I do have 5 and 15 gal. sizes of many ficus, including benghalensis, for sale , as well as other tropicals. E-mail me for specifics. Jeff

• sonotaps
    17 years ago

Jeff,

Hey, just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy that B. Simaruba you sold me. I'm very happy with it. I have a feeling it will really enjoy monsoon season here. It's growing well!

Thanks again.

• PenBuilder
    17 years ago

If you want to go look at some benghalensis, you should go to the zoo. They have several trees and several variations. There are also other types of ficus all over the place. The biggest one that I have seen in the valley is in the lakes neighborhood south of baseline between Rural and McKlintock. It hangs over an ally that runs along houses that are on the south side of the southern most lakes on the west side of the development. It is REALLY big. I asked a guy that lives by it about it. He thought it was a magnolia and said that rumor has it that one of the original tenants of an apartment complex on the other side of the fence planted it when the area was developed. There are quite a few unusual ficus in that neighborhood. There are also some benghalensis that Scottsdale planted near the Osborn hospital. I'm not sure, but I think that the beautiful ficus planted in front of the Vine restaurant in Tempe on Apache may be a rubiginosa (if not, perhaps a macrophylla?) I always though it was just another elastica until a got a closer look. GREAT TRUNK! Looks twisted and knarly. If anyone knows for sure what type of ficus that tree is, please divulge the information.
    PenBuilder

• english
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love the tree in front of the Vine in Tempe. I've asked several people but no one seems to know for sure what it is. I think it may be a rubiginosa, but the leaves seem a little larger and more glossy than other rubis I have seen.

• jpnaz
    12 years ago

I know this forum is quite old but Im looking to purchase a Banyan or rubiginosa for my house in Mesa, anyone know someone or a place i can get one? THank you!