Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xill

Name That Ficus

xill
12 years ago

i figure i'd post this here first since you guys would be more knowledgable about the types of ficus that grow in the desert.

my neighbor from across the street offered me three volunteers from his garden after noticing i was planting trees in my yard. they were all growing in a half oak barrel beside his sago palm. he doesn't remember the exact name of the ficus he has but i'm curious what it is. he has several ficus nitida (we all do around here) but this isn't one of those. for one, they sprouted up on their own, and nitidas dont do that here. plus it's leaves are much larger. my neighbor is positive that the parent tree was the one hanging over top of the oak barrel and not brought in from birds. if this is the case, then the parent tree is a much darker ficus than nitida as well. here's some pics to see if anyone can identify them.

a comparison of leaves. the smaller leaf i'm holding is from my ficus nitida. you can see nitida is much smaller.

{{gwi:406177}}

another view of the larger volunteer

{{gwi:406178}}

all three volunteers. they've all doubled in size since i got them

{{gwi:406179}}

a view of the assumed parent tree. its not a great photo, but you can see it's the darker ficus in the foreground with the brighter nitidas behind it. it almost looks purple in the sunset, but it's really a darker green. (it's the tree in the center of the photo right beside my neighbor's suv, not the benji peeking out from the left side of the pic)

{{gwi:406180}}

so can anyone identify these trees?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus