Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connordub

Indian Corn as a replacement for generic hybrid sweet corn?

connordub
14 years ago

Phoenix grower here, with a question about corn varieties that do well in our low desert. Corn is one of my favorite vegetables to eat, but growing it out here has proven to be quite a chore. My fall crop failed shortly after planting (too late of a planting, plus i may have overwatered heavily, leading to a rot). My current (early mar. planting) crop has had much more luck, but i am not entirely optimistic about it, i believe it just is far too thirsty, and dries out way quicker than i am able to water it (i have other things in life other than plants lol!) Back to the point, however. The Native Seed /SEARCH in Tucson has really caught my eye lately- I plan on 'arizona-izing; my garden, by experimenting with some crops from their seed bank. Would a type of Indian corn or maize be much more tolerant to our environment? Any Phx gardeners have experience with these types of corn, versus growing the generic hybrid corn seeds found in garden stores? How does the taste compare? Any input is gladly appreciated!

~Peace

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor