Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Corn as a replacement for generic hybrid sweet corn?

Posted by connordub z9 Phoenix (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 7:17

Phoenix grower here, with a question about corn varieties that do well in our low desert. Corn is one of my favorite vegetables to eat, but growing it out here has proven to be quite a chore. My fall crop failed shortly after planting (too late of a planting, plus i may have overwatered heavily, leading to a rot). My current (early mar. planting) crop has had much more luck, but i am not entirely optimistic about it, i believe it just is far too thirsty, and dries out way quicker than i am able to water it (i have other things in life other than plants lol!) Back to the point, however. The Native Seed /SEARCH in Tucson has really caught my eye lately- I plan on 'arizona-izing; my garden, by experimenting with some crops from their seed bank. Would a type of Indian corn or maize be much more tolerant to our environment? Any Phx gardeners have experience with these types of corn, versus growing the generic hybrid corn seeds found in garden stores? How does the taste compare? Any input is gladly appreciated!

~Peace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Corn as a replacement for generic hybrid sweet corn?

Indian Corn is NOT sweet corn for eating fresh, it's for grinding into corn meal. You can make "elote" (boiled green field corn), but it doesn't taste much like sweet corn.

I don't bother with corn because it's too much work and space for the amount of food you get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here