Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangledmind

Todays harvest

mangledmind
13 years ago

well after yesterdays blazing heat, we decided it was time to harvest a few veggies we were letting go another week or so. Their tops were soooo sad looking yesterday :( it's about 5 days past approximate harvest date, so we'll see how they look outta the ground.

Todays harvest:

Radishes

Turnips

We'll post picks after they come out and are cleaned up.

Comments (10)

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Poor turnips. They were WAY over crowded. We were using the square foot gardening technique in this planting, along with the rule of 3 (3 seeds per hole, 1 for God, 1 for nature, 1 for us) Well it looks like we got 80% + in germination. Next time, 1 seed per hole. At least we have a bunch of turnip greens to eat. :)

{{gwi:406207}}

The radishes came out good, not great. Next planting is going into a bed with a very, very loose soil. The icicle radishes are HOT, really hot.

{{gwi:406208}}

The mixed beans did very well for the little bit we planted. This is from 16 small plants and it's the first harvest. Quite a bit of smaller ones left on the plants and many more flowers.

{{gwi:406209}}

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Lookin' great! I especially love the mixed beans, but everything looks fresh, healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing the harvest. It's really fun to see, and it's great for all of us to see who is harvesting what, when.

Keep 'em coming.
    Take care,
    Grant allowing a race to develop between my 'Tigger' melons and Armenian cucumbers. First one to the edge of the watering basin WINS.

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What is the "prize" for the winner? LOL

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I like the mixed beans too although everything looks great. This is why we love gardening right??

Here's my harvest....the potatoes were 3 plants harvested this morning, the squash and tomatoes I've been picking for several days.

{{gwi:406210}}

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marymcp,

Thanks

I'm jealous of those squash, they are HUGE, what type are they? White Spaghetti?

And you have potatoes, now that is cool.

13 years ago

Yes, spaghetti squash. Very prolific plant, I think it would get yellow if I left it on the vine longer. That or the food industry adds color as an 'enhancement'. Harrruuummmppphhh.

That was only 3 potatoe plants, I have several more to harvest. :~)

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

please let me know how those "new potatoes" taste. I'll bet they are yummy fried for breakfast. ;)

13 years ago

Just finished our mid-day snack....roasted new potatoes.

olive oil
    chili powder
    garlic powder
    cumin seeds
    smidge of salt

Boil potatoes for just a few minutes....depending on size. These were fine with just 5 min. Drain well.

Heat small amt of olive oil cast iron skillet in 400° oven for 10 minutes. Remove skillet, add potatoes, toss to coat with oil, sprinkle with the chili mixture. Back to the oven for 10 minutes. Very yum.

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mary, that recipe sounds great, and simple too, probably less than 30 minutes prep to cook time (something I like) Gonna have to start growing our own potatoes now :)

13 years ago

I'm not sure the boiling part was necessary. I will omit that step on the next batch. My taters are so small, they don't need that extra step as they were a bit over-done for our taste.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm