Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawsonia inermis ** fragrant henna plant **

Posted by Easygoing Sunset zone 13 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 10:04

Has anyone ever tried growing "Lawsonia Inermis" aka FRAGRANT HENNA PLANT here in the metro=Phoenix area? The info I read said it is considered to be the most fragrant plant on the face of the earth, and is indeed the henna used to make hair and nail dye. Would love to hear your experiences with it.

Easy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawsonia inermis ** fragrant henna plant **

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 20:54

I have grown it in India. I know people in TX that have grown it. I bought the seeds recently--will be starting some myself.
Regarding fragrance-it does not perfume air. When you crunch the leaves, then you can smell them and it smells like henna(I don't know how to describe it)

o

Usha,

Everything I've read contradicts your statement on the blossoms not having fragrance. Some go into quite a bit of detail. Here is just one example:

------------------------------------------------------------
Henna Blossoms are so fragrant, they've been used in perfumes since 1500 BCE. They were the Prophet Mohammed's favorite scent.
------------------------------------------------------------

The odor of the attar if it is indeed pure, is a balanced combination of tea-like aroma of the leaves and the soft sweetness of the flowers. In the living flower the predominating first note is a bit lighter and sweeter but in the attar the two aromas coexistent in a balanced form. I think that it is virtually impossible to capture many of the most ethereal notes of any living flower as the whole life force of the plant is directly connected to the earth at that time. A well distilled oil can approach this domain but never completely capture it.(at least in my opinion) Perhaps there is the ambience of the environment itself which helps create a mood which cannot exactly be replicated when one leaves that place. When one is standing in the presence of a plant in its natural environment all the five senses are gathering in the impressions of that place and it penetrates very deeply into the heart.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Below is a link to a website that goes into quite a bit of detail on Henna. Very interesting reading.

Easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Henna

o

Easygoing,

I am afraid i have to concur with Usha. The leaves have frangnance only if you crush them. Back home in India we had a huge tree/shrub in our backyard and we used to take the leaves and make a paste out of it and apply it on the palms and feet and it would give out a very pleasant smell and once washed off will leave a dark red color. The smell will last for 2-3 days. Other than that if you walked past it you would not really smell.

o

Well, thanks a lot, Easy, now you've got me interested in yet another plant! Nothing like controversy to get me stirred. ;o)

Usha and paperwhite, you've mentioned the leaves only being fragrant when crushed, but what about the flowers? Do they have that ethereal scent that Alan's link praised so highly? Is there anything you can compare the scent of either leaves or flowers to?

This would seem to be an ideal plant for our dry, hot environment. Why aren't there more of these around? Or are there and I just don't know what I'm seeing?

o

Paperwhite,

We are not in disagreement on the leaves. It is in the flowers that we are in disagreement. She says they are not fragrant, but every website I've looked up info on this plant, says the flowers are fragrant. I don't even think we are in disagreement, in that. heck, she's grown it, I haven't, so she is probably right. I was just pointing this out to her, seeing if she had any additional input :)

Easy

o

Unfortunately, one can't trust a report that a flower is fragrant. :-( Only your nose knows.

o

All,

I am sorry if i came across harshly.

No the flowers do not have any smell if i recall. They are very small, no significant shape to them.

o

So eh, Paperwhite....

How log is your recollection ;) Hehehehe...just teasin ya :)

Easy

o
Usha must be on vacation....

Usha must be on vacation or something...haven't seen any posts from her, and she's very quite. I miss her writings :)

easy

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 11:41

I just got back from disneyland!! I have pictures of my daughter as well as plants from there. I am working on posting some pictures for ID soon. Collected the seeds that I could. EZ, if you are looking for fragrant(out of heaven) flowers..look up Artabotrys hexapetalus and Micheli champaca. Perfume is made from them and when you smell them you will know why. Don't grow henna for flowers. It is for leaves only.
usha

o

Hi Usha,

Hmmm...well, if I end up with red hair, you'll know what i did with it, right? ;)

Easy

o

Can some one tell me where to buy henna plant or seeds?

o

Question. I know that henna is a dry loving plant, but I would like to grow it in Illinois. In the summer it can either be really dry and hot or very humid and hot. Will the humidity effect it's growing? I would really love to grow it because i love to do Mindi, and it helps cool you down on those really hot days.

o

Hello
I am a local henna artist in phoenix area and I was also queries about henna plant so I bought this small tree from this website.

http://companionplants.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=203&osCsid=ae93e94fb54f3924b683527138ce4e69

plant is really small so it will take long time to flower it ��.

o

I planted some seeds and nothing happened. I got it from my previous neighbor and now she moved out. How can I get some seeds of Henna in Florida

o

Saw it at Amazon

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawsonia inermis Seeds

o

Interesting - they have a lot of unusual heirloom seeds.

o

I found a site with a map showing where henna is grown. According to the map, henna needs a climate where the temperature stays above 60� F. I would try to grow it here in a large pot If I could move the tree inside during the cold season.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Henna Page

o

Weird... Definitely an old thread, but seeing as how I just bought this plant two days ago I thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

Was browsing a local nursery for the first time and as I was walking through the jasmine/gardenia/magnolia section I suddenly stopped dead in my tracks...for I smelled the most magnificent scent EVER. I'm not exaggerating. I crawled through the dense thicket smelling every single flower I could, thinking it was some type of jasmine. Then I come face to face with this 3 foot tall shrub/tree...nothing fancy, almost looked like it was drying out aside from these little tiny buds and blooms on the ends of these twigs. And the SMELL...ooooooohhhh the smell!

I had discovered the plant known locally (deep south Texas) as "Resedad"...English name Reseda, also known as Lawsonia inermis. As i later found out, turns out I knew this scent--my grandmother has owned three huge specimens for years. Every whiff is a travel back in time, hard to explain...but proves just how well scents trigger memories.

I could care less about the henna ink properties...and if you smelled this plant, you too would quickly forget all about the henna history. Needless to say I bought the plant. It's sitting in its pot 25 ft from the front door, and even though only 10% of the blooms are open, I can't open my front door without being overwhelmed by its intoxicating perfume. This plant is Heaven sent.

Don't know if anyone will read this old thread, but if anybody does and wants to see a picture of my specimen just say the word. This plant is supposed to grow wonderfully down here in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas...and my grandma's three large mature plants are a testament to that.

Cheers,
Josh

o

Well, of COURSE we want to see a picture!! And can you tell us a little about your growing seasons, like how hot is your summer, how much rain do you get, how cold (freeze/frost) in winter, etc. Thanks for dropping in!

o

Well we're an area that's prone to drought conditions. Rain is scarce and heat is common year round. Last year never dropped below 35 degrees and "winter" typically consists of 50-70 degree mornings and 80+ degree afternoons. Cold fronts come and go, dropping the temperature for 1-2 days before it quickly warms up. Spring and summer are HOT. Highs have been 90+ for the last two months, with the worst yet to come. 100+ degree days are common July-September. A big difference between Arizona and southern Texas is the humidity...here we constantly battle high humidity as we're right by the coast (South Padre Island area), so it's a very muggy heat. Went outside today and took some pictures...noticed several more blooms open today, much to the delight of my olfactory system.

Here's a close up of the bloom.

o

And here's a not so great picture of the entire plant...still trying to decide where to plant it!

o

...and one final shot.

o

That is a fanciful flower! Wish computers had a smell feature. Thanks for posting the photos. After hearing about your weather, it seems that humidity is the biggest difference. I would love to try this plant, but I don't remember seeing it at a nursery anywhere.

o

I had my girlfriend smell it last night--she flipped. She had to do a double take. For the last two days (basically since i bought the plant) I've smelled several scents throughout my day (my girlfriends perfume being one of them) that just takes me back to this plant. That's actually the first thing she said after her double take..."It smells like one of my perfumes!" Oh I hope she wears that perfume daily from here on out...! The scent carries a long ways, which is great because I can work on training my passion vine collection over the patio arbor and still smell the blooms!

I had never seen it sold anywhere until Saturday. I guarantee my grandmother never bought hers at a nursery, which leaves me wondering how in the world she obtained hers. I'd be MORE than happy to ship you some seeds if I can figure out where they're at. I think I've already spotted some of the little "fruit" on the plant, just need to verify that. Also, if I remember correctly, I should be able to take a cutting and send you a rooted specimen. Let me know if you're interested! Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, deserves to smell this plant.

Cheers,
Josh

o

LOL, you are about the best promoter of this plant that I've ever come across, Josh- thanks! You make it very tempting. I have to read back on this thread to see if anyone else has had success with it in the desert.

o

Lol...yea, and the funny thing is that I still don't feel like my words were enough to truly portray how magnificent that scent is! Hah!

There are definitely some differences in our climate, but for all of Arizona's sake I sure hope y'all can manage to get this plant growing! Just put my bad boy in the ground this morning...!

o

I got stuck on Haname's Henna page last night, seems like I might become strawberry blonde in the near future, lol. They didn't offer any seeds or plants there, so I would guess that is my next search.

Josh, were all of the plants you've known (yours and your grandmom's) all in full sun? Usually that's pretty much a no-no here, very few plants can handle our sun full time. Any other peculiarities you might think of - soil pH, etc?

o

Well I know that the area I placed my plant at will be receiving full sun. One of my grandmas plants, the larger more mature plant, is also in full sun. The other, I'd estimate, receives around 4 hours of afternoon shade...and it's doing just fine! That specific plant is around 8 ft tall while the other stands probably closer to 10 ft tall. As far as soil pH goes, I know my grandma pays no attention to that...and I know that I personally also don't really pay attention to that, so can't really chime in there. My grandma also doesn't really water hers anymore...and we have some dry, drought-like conditions here. I'll probably water mine every 3rd day until it becomes better established.

I was talking to my mom about how the leaves are used to make Henna ink and she got mad excited--she's always wanted to take that "natural" route when it comes to dying her hair, so seems she'll be ordering a Henna hair kit in the near future! Hah!

If YOU'D like to be the Arizone guinea pig and try and give this plant a shot, give me a holla! We'll figure it out! ;)

o

Well, I found some seeds on Richter's site, so I'll be giving it a shot here soon, wish me luck! Josh's reports on the scent just *have* to be tested, lol...

o

i want to buy henna plants,if you know some one in phoenix , az. please let me know. abdul

o

Wondering if any of you folks who said you were going to try to grow henna had any luck?

After reading this thread back in July of last year, my curiosity was piqued so I bought some henna seeds online and have had zero luck in getting them to sprout. Tried sowing them directly in soil and germinating them indoors. No luck with either method.

Just curious to know if anybody else managed to get some going and if so, any tricks to it?

Thanks.

o

Hey you guys! Just wanted to follow up on my plant, in case any of y'all were still trying to propagate. My initial store bought tree is now roughly 7 ft tall. Last year I planted another companion "tree" 10 ft across the walkway from the original. Both doing great, even after an unusually frigid winter for us. I've given two 1' tall cuttings to patients of mine that were taken from the original that are now a good 2-3' tall and blooming. My original plant dropped seeds in two pots that are underneath it and I now have 3
1' tall new blooming plants. I've smelled lots of new plants since planting my Resedad, and there's still nothing that tops it's sweetness! PM me for seeds, I have tons and will have plenty more after bloom season starts shortly.

Cheers,
Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here