Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

It's EASY to post pics here now. Yay!

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say Gardenweb has added a nice easy way to post pics now, so no more struggling through hosted picture sites and html tags. Now when we're typing our posts, right above the "subject of posting" field is a "browse" button that we can all use to browse on our computer for a pic and then upload. So easy and fun, so hopefully EVERYONE can post some pics of your great plants and gardens now.

For fun, I'm uploading a quick and casual pic of some orange lantana in my garden growing in front of a couple different types of Opuntia, the one on the right is one of several spineless types I grow, developed by Luther Burbank as cattle feed for arid regions. So easy to add photos now. Thank you gardenweb!!

Let the uploading begin! Take care and happy gardening, Grant

Comments (18)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Nice! Yes I noticed this button last time I posted. Finally!! Thanks GW. Here's my adeniums, they are blooming their little bodies off now.

• Haname
    11 years ago

This is the best thing GW has done since I joined! :) Can we add more than one image?

{{gwi:406278}}

The single pink cosmos flower was added via the upload link, and the trio was added the old way. The image added with the link appears at the bottom of the message. When I used the browse option, it showed up perfectly in the preview under my text. Then I added the picture of the trio using the code (the old way) and it overrode the first picture. I had to re-add the single pink cosmos picture again using the browse button. So I think if we want to add multiple pics in a message, we will have to do it the old way except for the last shot that will appear at the end. First enter your pics and text, then Preview Message, and and then add the last picture. Every time I'm editing this message I have to re-do the directly uploaded picture because it doesn't save in the edit.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun fun fun! Thank you Gardenweb!

Mary, your adeniums look GREAT! I love them. Mine had a big flush of blooms last month but are mostly making leaves right now. Looking good! I think I see a variegated pepper plant in the pic. Is it? Is it a variegated fish pepper? Or maybe something else? I grew some variegated fish peppers two years ago and really liked them. This year I'm growing the super variegated super dwarf 'Shue' ornamental hot pepper. Whatever your is, it's great!

Very nice pics, haname, I love them. It sure looks like a hybrid zinnia to me instead of a cosmos, but I could be wrong (hey, it happens). It looks like one of the hybrid zinnias with Z. angustifolia in its heritage. In any case, very pretty blooms and from here it looks like both pics worked. How happy are we?! VERY!

Here's a quick upload (how nice is that) of a plant I've shown over and over for years now, since buying it as a single rooted cutting in 2007: the contorted-leaf orchid cactus Epiphyllum guatemalense 'Curly' plus a pot full of its seedlings. Such a fun, great plant. It sits outside all year on the covered patio where it gets winter sun and summer shade. Wilson the tennis ball added to show relative size.

Me so happy! :)
    Take care all, happy gardening and happy uploading!
    Grant

• azant
    11 years ago

Grant, feed the heck outta those adeniums with superbloomer and dont be afraid to water more than most succulents while in leaf.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Love that contorted leaf thingy! Reminds me of kale. Is that one of those plants that you're supposed to bring in in winter, but doesn't really care about the cold? I have Xmas cactus outside and it stays there all year, no worse for wear.

• Haname
    11 years ago

Grant, you're probably right on the flowers, I am not as well versed as you are in these matters, and it is entirely possible that the plants were mislabeled when I bought them. Thanks for the comment. Don't the cosmos have finer foliage than what is seen on mine?

Also, where can I buy Adeniums locally? Yours are gorgeous, Mary.

• azant
    11 years ago

Arid lands has a decent selection of Adenium. Arabicums, oleifolium, obesum, swazicums, etc...

• Haname
    11 years ago

Thanks, azant. The extent of my collection of this sort of plant is a regular old Madagascar palm. Well, two of them. Your collection posted on the What's Looking Good thread is really nice. My favorite is the Pachypodium densiflorum var. brevicalyx.

I noticed a collection of African succulents at HD today, and was sorely tempted to buy a bunch of them. :)

• azant
    11 years ago

Thanks haname, I highly recommend broadening your horizon with the succulents :) Just be careful what you pick up at the box stores as they MIGHT already be rotting before you get them home =/ They are also notorious for selling succulents that just dont work here or succulents you really have to keep after to make them happy. Be sure to know also when their resting season is so you dont overwater. Correct soil formulation is key as well. I have seen too many succulents offered here at box stores grown in PEAT! Fine n' dandy if you want a mushy plant and good luck watering it if it is allowed to go dry...

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Thanks for those tips re: succulents ant. I've not been successful in the past. Try try again....

The varigated plant is an aleppo pepper, first time trying them. I love the spice and it's pricey at the stores so I thought to grow my own. I should have left her in that pot. I transplanted to the garden and she's stuggling, not dead yet though. I have a couple more. I can start one or two for you if you like Grant (anyone), I still have seed.

The adeniums I bought at the Metro Tech sale last fall. One was covered in aphids but after a good hosing they have not come back. Sorry, I can't find contact info for the vendor.

I don't think that's a cosmos either, yes, they are a bit more 'dainty'.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun updates, keep them coming. It's so great that it's easy to upload pics now. Love it! Yes, the orchid cactus (contorted form of Epiphyllum guatemalense) is one that folks say should come indoors, but I just leave it out all year, and have for several years now, and it grows and blooms nicely (the blooms are super small and boring and only open for a few hours just after midnight, phooey). Anyway, thanks for commenting and for all of the fun pics.

Thanks for the information on how you grow your fatplants, azant. I do feed and water mine heavily during summer, they're just taking a quick break. I'll slog some more on them. These are ones I've had for many years and really enjoy. And thanks for mentioning about the peat based soils, so bad for C&S! You're good!

I'm sure others will chime in with local sources for adeniums, but most local nurseries carry them in summer, as do the Big Box hardware stores, so they're not hard at all to find in summer.

Happy gardening and pic posting all!
    Grant

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Thought I would give it a try too.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks GREAT, thisisme. PERFECT pic of a beautiful flower and lovely, busy bee! Thanks for sharing it!

• xoxos
    11 years ago

top modern!

cross-section of grass stem posted somewhere recently.. :)

• sherizona
    11 years ago

About time! Here's a desert willow flower from a tree that just popped up in the side of my yard. I love when that happens, that was 2 years ago and today it's about 15 feet tall.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful desert willow, sherizona, thanks for posting it. They're one of my favorites too. Great pic!

Take care and happy gardening everyone!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my garden June 2012

• azbookworm
    11 years ago

My my my.... That okra is red! How cool is this?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOVE the okra and the pic, bookworm! The stems and leaves are nice and flushed with red too. Great stuff! Keep us posted!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?