Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

I hate June!

tracydr
13 years ago

It's so hot already with what feels like no end in sight. Hardly anything is doing well except armenians and other squash types but no production yet. I can't plant anything.

I need to start some seeds today. Maybe getting some fall maters and new pepper plants started will make me feel better.

Comments (4)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I hear you Tracy, this is NOT why we live in Phoenix. But my handyman DH has rigged up a large portable swamp cooler on the patio and that works really well. We sit in the shade of the carob tree and turn it on....the swamper, not the tree. :~)

Speaking of seed starting, rtl850nomore has talked me into making seed balls. I've heard of these before but have never done them. I bought the clay yesterday (and have an extra 20 pounds or so if anyone else is interested). Here's a link. Maybe we need a seed ball making party! On the patio. Near the swamper!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make seed balls

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

LOL tracy,

I agree, and just think it has only just BEGUN. You can still plant Honey Dew, watermelon, cantaloupe, Armenian cukes, basil, black-eyed peas, okra, sweet potatoes, eggplant, muskmelon, pumpkin, squash, and sunflowers.

Plus you can get your indoors starts going for mid to late July transplanting. :)

marymcp,

seed balls aka "seed bombs", "Guerrilla Gardening" are a cool idea. Seen a lot of these types of projects done in city areas and empty lots to add some BEAUTIFICATION. :)

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have some southern peas. I should pop them in the ground. I'm going to plant more melons and watermelon, too.
    Got the boys to start my new lasagna garden so have more space, finally. Can plant the space hogs now. My armenian cukes are 4 feet tall but only have males so far. Maybe the heat will cause a sex change?
    Hubby killed the pepper plants, they were over a year old. Had some alfalfa on them and he forgot the water. They got flooded and the alfalfa heated up. I'm hoping they'll come back but they dropped all their leaves so doesn't look promising.
    I need a couple of those swamp coolers. I could train my dog on the porch without killing her!
    I need one for the tomatoes and ourselves!
    Mary, please tell me how to make the swamp cooler!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Tracy, Take your plastic to Home Depot. They have lots of swampers on wheels, in various sizes. The 'handyman' part is how DH got the electric and water to it out on the patio, but that's not all that hard to figure out.

Folks use them when working in the garage, the place where I bought the clay had a huge one going in the warehouse. Our neighbor has a A/C service business and he gave us this one because a customer upgraded and simply did not want this one any more. We love it.