Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pangloss_gw

Dead/dying lawn--rehab or last rites?

Pangloss
10 years ago

Hi all! Brand new to posting on these forums, but I've been browsing them extensively for some time. So nice to find a forum specific to Arizona's peculiarities of climate!

I moved about 5 weeks ago, and although I'm a native Tucsonan and used to growing green(ish) things here, this is the first house I've ever had that has a lawn.

Since my house was a short sale, with the typical interminable delays, this lawn went unwatered and untended for something like 4 months. It's dry and yellowed, with numerous patches of dirt showing through. The weeds, of course, were hale and healthy and deposited a nice carpet of burrs to be tracked into the house.

I'm guessing the lawn is bermuda, since the few tufts growing near the evap runoff are nice and green. I've run the sprinkler a few times, a a few dozen little sprigs of green have appeared, but that's all. I've tugged on some handfuls and they are still strongly rooted, if that means anything.

We'd like to keep this little 13x13 patch as a lawn for the kidlet and dogs. Aside from that, the uniform dead yellow is a real eyesore.

Could someone explain to me, complete lawn novice that I am, what I should be doing? Should I keep watering, and about how often? Should I fertilize, or would the heat and dormancy/death of the lawn make that a bad idea? Should I let it rest in peace and resign myself to overseeding in the fall/spring? Unfortunately, paying a lawn service is not in the cards for the time being.

I've tried to research this, but between only finding things for other climates/grass types/seasons and trying to unpack, paint a whole house and look after a 6 month old, I'm at my wits end, lawn-wise. Any guidelines from you kind folks would be very appreciated!

Comments (6)