Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crista_abel

4 o'clocks

crista
12 years ago

I'd like to plant some 4 o'clock seeds - where will they do best?

Comments (4)

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I love four o'clocks and always have a few in each garden I start. I've got several in bloom right now (pic of a couple of blooms below). My best ones get afternoon shade, so on the east side of a wall where they get sun from sunrise until mid-day seems best.

I have a few at the base of small citrus trees too where they get some shade from the hottest mid-day sun. I grow several types and all have been really rewarding.

{{gwi:406552}}

Mine have a massive flush of blooms right around now, then off and on most of the summer and then another big flush in autumn. Mine look tired in mid-summer (who doesn't, LOL?!) but they perk up again in autumn. In our mild winter climate they'll act like perennials coming back from the ground year after year.

Let us know where you plant them and how they do, and do send in some pics. They're great flowers and I'm surprised more people aren't growing them. I'm curious to see what conditions other members grow theirs in too.

Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's garden pics (so far) in June

• Juttah
    12 years ago

Grant, are yours really fragrant? I've been looking for something colorful and scented for our patio planters, and this is one of the possibilities that came up. (We have a neighbor with 3 big dogs and she cleans up her yard about, oh, once or twice a year.)

Also, are they drought-tolerant?

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Juttah, they're low water (especially for here) but I wouldn't call them quite drought tolerant. They need a splash of water twice a week in summer. I went out of town for ten days a couple of weeks ago and they were just getting annoyed, but have totally bounced back. If there is drip irrigation available they'd be great of course.

Most of mine are as fragrant as four oclocks get, but honestly, that's not super fragrant to me. Yes, if I'm within a foot or two of a bloom (or stick my nose in them) I can enjoy the smell, but not that much smell from far away. And again, the blooms are open at night and early the next morning, so if you want to hide the dog dropping smell in the daylight, these won't help at all. :(

You have an interesting problem though. Scented geraniums come to mind, or basil or rosemary plants, as long as you rub the foliage to release the scent.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Four o'clocks are great plants though, and super eager to bloom.

Take care,
    Grant

• crista
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I've got a place in mind! Beautiful blossoms, by the way!