Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigmacz

My Bower doesn't bloom

bigmacz
18 years ago

I have a variegated bower vine that has been in the ground for over a year. The plant it huge and very healthy, but no blooms :(

It is planted on the north side of the house but get quite a bit of sun.

Any suggestions????

Comments (13)

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Mine didn't bloom for a year or so after I planted them. Perhaps they have to get acclimated to their new environment?

You might try some fertilizer with a low first number and high second, like 8-16-8. Not necessarily those but the middle number should be highest.

• winter_plumage_AZ
    18 years ago

I planted mine more than a year ago on the south side of the house; however, I planted it sort of under/behind a mature bougainvillea that's up against the house and under a 2' overhang... hoping that it would twirl its way up the bougainvillea (which it has) and into the patio area (of course it doesn't want to go toward shade). Though part of it is in full sun, it has not bloomed yet. I should have put the jasmine where I put the bower vine and vice versa :(

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I have one that blooms. Not a lot but some. Mine doesn't get much sun.

• drygulch
    18 years ago

I recently planted two at the base of a north-facing wall. They get limited sun. Both were in bloom when planted, and even a couple of weeks afterwards. Since then, they just have looked worse and worse. If I don't water them daily they look really bad, but even when I do water every day they look pretty sick and seem to be in general long-term decline. Heavy sigh...

I believe they're from Australia, but they don't seem to like the heat.

Any suggestions are welcome.

• Zill
    18 years ago

I bought my Bower Vine at Easter, 2003, and planted it by the fig -- thought it would look neat climbing up the tree. It had modest growth, some flowering, and was frost damaged that winter.

In 2004 I replanted it along the South wall, and it did much better. This year it's outgrown the fan trellis, bloomed constantly since early spring, but has slowed somewhat this past week to a few flower clusters. Plenty of new buds, though, so I'm not worried. I've had to add two more trellises, one on either side; it also made friends with the Bottle Tree, so I'm letting it climb up a branch.

It's mulched with cedar chips, watered deeply once a week, and gets a gallon of Peter's 20-20-20 water once a month. One of my few successes, so I love it.

Zill

• Desert_Heat
    18 years ago

My next door neighbor has one that is several years old against the North wall that gets beat by the Southern and Western afternoon sun and it blooms. It's amazing considering their backyard has tropical landscaping with only queen palms as their "trees."

• bigmacz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally notices a couple of buds this weekend, maybe there's hope!!!

• Pam Honeycutt
    18 years ago

I need one of those, I don't have shade,
    Just lots and lots of sun...
    Where's the best place to buy them?

Thanks,
    gemfire

• bigmacz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just bought a really nice 2 gallon variegated at Lowes. Both HD & Lowes have the green leave variety with white and I believe pink flowering varieties.

• knechtw
    18 years ago

I planted two bower vines this summer-one at the base of each side of an arbor. Gets early morning and late evening sun only. The most beautiful white flowers with pink centers -and profuse! Each stem has about 10 flowers on it and there hasn't been a day yet that it didn't have a large flower cluster. BUT-the darn thing just won't start growing up the arbor. The height is very close to what it was when i planted it 2 months ago. What is going on??

• handsy
    10 years ago

My bower vine doesn't bloom either. The foliage looks healthy and gets a lot of sun but the roots are in a tub behind a low wall. Does this make a difference?

• E. Groeg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Rather oddly, my bower (Pandorea jasminoides) bloomed in the first year I bought it in (2018), and yet, it didn't bloom in the latter years as it grew taller (or climbed) towards my veranda barrier (which is shadier) -- That part of my house gets around 1-3 hours of sunshine (so that may be the reason?).

As such, I just transplanted my bower to a much more sunnier position. And we can hope that it flowers this spring-summer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting