Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jnine_gw

Suggestions for Tropical Trees/Plants

jnine
18 years ago

Would like to plant some tropical-looking trees, shrubs and vines that would grow well, not be too messy, and not attract bees around my pool (West exposure). Any ideas? Thx!

Comments (17)

• greenlust
    18 years ago

Dont plant rosemary if you dont want bees. I have rosemary bushes, they have tiny flowers and attracts herds of bees, I like the buzzing sound of the bees. The bees keep to the flowers and dont fly around in the yard.
    Ficus is a nice tropical looking free, nice green leaves, not messy. Needs to be protected from frost.

• judy_b
    18 years ago

The bees are going to be attracted to the water as much as anything else, and as Greenlust says, the bees are busy doing their own work and won't bother you if you leave them alone.

Anything with large leaves looks tropical but is generally not a good bet for our weather as they respire too much water through their large surfaces. Garden trolip knows how to make things look tropical, maybe she'll give you some ideas. :-)

• frangipaniaz
    18 years ago

Actually, tropical trees do quite well if given the proper soil and watering conditions... One that will do well here is Plumeria... It is a flower that is found in hawaiian leis and is also a native flowering tree of Fiji (where it is called Frangipani ) :) Passion vines can do well here as well; calla lilies, cannas, bird of paradise, etc can all grow well here... these all depend on how your backyard is, shade, sun, etc... there are many unusual plants that can only grow zones 9-11 or 12 and are very tropical in appearance... I plan on doing the same thing with my deck area once I enclose it a bit, then bromeliads and orchids have a better chance at outdoors... you may want to consider misters that can add humidity to an area, some of these plants like that... Oh, and there is a nursery in S. Phoenix that actually sells Plumeria, Mango trees, Avocado,etc... tropical will not be as hard as you think... This site has a plumeria forum you may want to check out... they are beautiful and smell wonderful... let me know if there is anything else I can do...
    Brittany

• jnine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all for the ideas. I love plumerias. I remember how wonderful they look and smell from when I took a trip to Kauai. I didn't know they'd grow here. A mango tree would be great. Do those actually grow here? I do like tropical-looking plants that don't require a lot of water. I think Yellow Bells look great around the pool - the green leaves and bright yellow flowers seem tropical to me. I have a very sunny yard. We have a pool and the yard has an Eastern exposure.
    Frangipani, when you say proper soil - what kind of soil do tropical plants need? Also, great idea with the misters for humidity. You'll have to send pictures once you get your tropical patio started :-)

• azamigo
    18 years ago

Jacaranda and Hong Kong Orchid trees are both beautiful and are grown around Phoenix a lot. Depending on where in the valley you live you might be able to grow a Royal Poinciana. This the is gorgeous red/orange widely spreading tree you see in the tropics. I have seen a few around the valley and am starting to see more planted. They really, really love the heat and have beautiful "ferny" leaves except during winter. Tipu trees are also grown widely and have really pretty yellow flowers in May. You might also try a coral tree-yep, the same one's you see over on the Southern California coast.

• User
    18 years ago

Most tropical plants like well draining soil, but if it drains too fast, you'll have to water more often. You may need to amend your soil to balance moisture retention versus drainage. A two or three inch layer of mulch works well for retaining moisture and improving the soil too.

In addition to the suggestions above:
    * Papaya - Water once a week when established, more often if you want fruit.
    * Bamboo - Once established, needs water once a week during summer, drops some leaves, but they usually land at the base.
    * Castor bean (poisonous)
    * Ti Plants
    * Plumeria
    * Mandevillas
    * Banana
    * Guava
    * Elephant Ears and Caladiums
    * Coleus

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropicalesque Gardens forum

• aztreelvr
    18 years ago

You can create a lush, flamboyant, fragrant and green tropical-looking landscape all by using desert adapted plants. These are happy here in our climate and soils and don't take much care compared to plants from truly tropical regions of the world.

Here is a link to a plant list which has trees, shrubs, flowering perennials and groundcovers that will help you create a tropical landscape. (Scroll down to page 3 of the list.) Also included are plants for a Mediterranean, Sonoran and Southwestern type landscape.

For feedback on using ficus trees near pools, read the thread on Ficus Nitida / Evergreen Elm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for a Tropical Landscape

• frangipaniaz
    18 years ago

Yes, plumeria especially like well draining soil...I'm glad that everyone could help you with that... Some of those other plants were great suggestions... I think the nursery name is TropicaMango nursery, or something like that... It looks really small and dinky but they supply many different kinds of trees... they are in the phone book and you need to call ahead of time to make sure that they are there... I've gone a couple times to find a closed nursery...
    Brittany

• sonotaps
    18 years ago

I'm a xeriscape guy (cacti, succulents from Baja and Mainland Mexico, etc) but I like my tropicals too!

If you find yourself in southern California, you can pick up many things at Home Depot and bring them over here without challenge. Our 'Ag check' has long since been closed. Over there, it is not uncommon for Home Depot to carry mangos, avocados, plumerias, guavas, passionfruit, etc. They aren't bad for selection but I like some of the specialty nurseries in SoCal (I'm picky).

Tropica Mango is OK, but if you are picky about selection (as I am) you may have to do the California thing, although Baker's Nursery here has avocados and guavas and some other 'off center' stuff. Just because a nursery carries it does not mean it is 'bullet-proof' for our area. Have to do your homework.

I can tell you this, though. I'm growing various citrus (SUBtropical, wonderful, and easy), mangos, guavas, apples, papayas, avocados, passionfruit, pineapples, bananas, and many palms that 'don't' grow here (in the ground). A guava tree is just about the easiest tropical fruit tree to grow here, by the way, and they are gorgeous trees. If you aren't in a 'cold area' you can do it. South and east walls will help success too. I'm in a 'middle' area-not the coldest and not the warmest either. I lament the concrete covering this city, but it will help our overnight temperatures to be warmer going forward if a concrete jungle can be considered a 'plus'. I only had to cover stuff about 5 nights and I may not have had to do it (I am diligent about my plants, though).

Check out the extension office at 40th/Broadway in Phoenix. That is where the California Rare Fruit Growers meet (AZ Chapter) and there are mature white sapotes, a large plumeria, guavas, sapodilla, loquats, bananas, etc growing. Attend a meeting if you desire.

If tropical fruit isn't your thing you will still find tropical trees at HD's in California that are seldom carried here.

Good luck.

www.azrfg.org

• jnine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will do more research on the different suggestions. By the fall, we'll be changing our yard - hopefully - to a more tropical look and all your suggestions have been great.

• themamacurd
    15 years ago

My friend brought back 2 Hawaiian Ti Plant "seeds". I just planted them in pots and have kept them inside. Anyone know if they'll survive outside? And if so full sun no sun, watering needs, ect.??
    Anyone even have any luck with these plants here??

• braddenton
    15 years ago

Also, cannas! Easy to find, easy to plant. Tropical-looking with big leaves but can take the sun.

• koiandturtle
    12 years ago

Where might I find Elephants Ear here in Phoenix, I have tried Lowes and Homedepot and they dont have any... Any suggestions on a nursery?

• ra
    12 years ago

I've only seen a few HD and Lowe's that had them earlier this year. Plus the ones they carried were colocasias and from my experience, Colocasias don't like our low humidity that much. Alocasias on the other hand can withstand it more.

Try Baker's nursery. I usually see them selling big bulbs of them.

• aztropical
    11 years ago

I realize this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm just curious, is anyone growing Ti leaves outside here in the Phoenix area? Also, I see on websites that Hawai'i isn't allowed to ship them to AZ for some reason.. Any ideas why?

• tracydr
    10 years ago

I'm bringing this thread back up. I'm trying to quickly get an established looking tropical garden around my pool as our house is up for sale. I have a huge, unplanted area that I need to fill without spending gobs of money. Its in fairly deep shade and we have flood irrigation.
    Thinking about some giant elephant ears and cannas. Maybe philodendrons? Anybody have a good place to purchase these that isn't too expensive? House goes on the market ASAP.
    I have a lot of bulbs and salvias planted. Just bought a few clivias. I need some big plant, small money ideas!

• Houndhome
    10 years ago

What about Tacoma - bells of fire? Cannas are also good. Maybe a pigmy date palm?