Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttah_gw

Cat pooping on patio � help!

Juttah
9 years ago

Hello fellow AZ Gardenwebbers, my elderly parents (north Phoenix) have a new problem to contend with, as if they don't already have enough problems of their own.

A cat has started pooping on their patio, right on the tiles!

If it were me, I'd buy a kitty litter box and deal with it, but my dad is nearly blind (plus he's squeamish and has a borderline cat phobia, lol) and my mother has cancer and a compromised immune system, so a newly-installed litter box that needs to be cleaned is out of the question.

Also, they do not know whose cat it is -- but they don't think it's a feral or stray cat. They believe it's someone's pet.

Questions: In Maricopa county, is it against the law to let cats roam? I find plenty of references to a leash law for dogs, but I couldn't find anything about cats.

And, being that this is a potential health hazard for mother at least, will Animal Control deal with it? I found plenty of stuff about "stray" and "feral" cat control, but nothing about a cat potentially belonging to someone.

I have a raccoon trap and will deal with the problem myself as a last resort, but I'd rather go the legal route. Any advice?

Comments (8)

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Why do you think it belongs to some one? We had a cat hanging around thought it was some ones pet, nope. It made a mess of the patio furniture with its black hair. Went to the pound they gave us a large cage to trap it in.
    Some people do let their pet cats run around which is rude and selfish. Just like some do with their kids.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

I would trap the cat and take it to the Humane Society. No animal is allowed to 'run at large'. Phx City Ordinance, Chapter 8, Section 8.8:

Sec. 8-8. - Regulations for keeping within City.

(d) No person owning, keeping, possessing, harboring or maintaining any animal, as defined in section 8-1, shall allow such animal to run at large.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phx City Ordinance on Animals

9 years ago

That's a good suggestion Lazy. Juttah, if you try that please report back and let us know if it solves the problem. A gentler approach than mine, no harm in trying it.

Personally, I tried many many things to keep cats out of my gardens, including cayenne pepper, but like CD's or tin foil for birds, I did not find them successful for the long term. Good luck with it all.

• Laura81
    9 years ago

I have live trapped many cats using my yard as a toilet. Once one cat starts it seems to draw other cats. There are no laws in Arizona regarding cats roaming free and their owners seem to think it is ok to let their cats run wild. This topic is my pet peeve.

• Juttah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice everybody -- and for the link to the ordinance, Mary. I don't have the patience to look that stuff up myself!

I hadn't even considered the sprinkler deterrent. Amazon has one for about $50 and it's gotten positive reviews. Sounds like a good way to water the yard as well!

I agree with your "pet peeve" Laura. When we moved here 10 yrs ago we had lots of free-roaming cats targeting our pet-free yard, since everybody around us owned a dog or three. A big, muscular tomcat (which looked like a small cougar) even made it his territory for awhile, spraying EVERYTHING with his perfume.

One day while planting, I accidentally sunk my fingers into a freshly buried "land mine." That did it. I bought the trap and 10 cats later, the problem was solved. What's worse, not a single person posted a "Lost Cat" flyer in my neighborhood. Shows you how irresponsible these so-called "pet owners" are.

We no longer have a cat problem, now that the coyotes have moved in. They're getting quite bold -- I've seen them trotting along the sidewalk in broad daylight like they own the place! I hope people are finally learning to keep their cats indoors.

9 years ago

Laura, check the link I posted above. No animal is allowed to 'run at large'. The ordinance states "any animal that can carry rabies". Cat's can carry rabies.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> ...not a single person posted a "Lost Cat" flyer in my neighborhood. Shows you how irresponsible these so-called "pet owners" are.

I had one cat in the back yard. I looked up and a hawk flew by. I never saw the cat again.

I had a chihuahua get out, run onto the golf course, and I never saw that dog again. All my dogs since are big ones.

If you lose your animal it's quite reasonable to think that you've helped out some wild critter that day.

Sponsored