Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good June 2011?

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi all,

What's looking good in your garden this June? We've been blessed with relatively mild temps so far so a lot of gardens in my neighborhood are looking really, really nice.

I haven't even started my air conditioner yet since the daily maximum spikes and drops so quickly (and the interior of my house doesn't get as hot as the outdoor daily max), and nights/mornings are still so lovely (69 F at my place this morning and so far all month). Soon I'll break down, though, and start it up.

In any case, here are a few plants that look nice out in my little garden this month, what's looking good in yours? We'd love to see or hear your update!

Dwarf-growing plumeria, variety 'Divine' on the east side of my house. It's been in the ground for three years and is doing really, really well. It made it through this past winter without any damage at all (I'm as surprised as anyone, and no, I didn't cover it). Pretty AND smells nice too:

{{gwi:406862}}

Formosa lily (Sprekelia formosissima) in bloom

{{gwi:406863}}

Hollyhocks, still going strong:

{{gwi:406865}}

And finally, a Jatropha gossypifolia plant with its wonderful burgundy/maroon foliage and nice small reddish blooms:

{{gwi:406867}}

Okay, your turn, pics or not.

Take care and happy gardening!

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My plant/garden blog (just a post or three a month)

Comments (20)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

In English, is that a red castor bean?

The lily is awesome and the plumie I can actually smell from here!

• Haname
    12 years ago

Beautiful, all. Did you put the Plumeria in native or amended soil?

What looks good right now:

Hong Kong orchid tree
    Italian tomato
    vinca

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Pretty much everything. I'm serious.

Melons, tomatoes, squash, all my fruit trees (apples, peaches, nectarines, pomegranates, tropicals, et al) look terrific.

The only thing that isn't is a hedge of grewia occidentalis (lavendar starflower) that probably has some irrigation issues and some lady banks roses that my ex-#$@$#@$# landscaper bought at a discount and planted that were heavily invested with black spot.

• ra
    12 years ago

All of my Hibiscus are blooming crazy and so do my Canna Lillies.

I have 2 Hollyhocks but still not blooms from them. I planted them a little over a month ago.

• ramatheson
    12 years ago

I have some seedlings. I have sweat peas growing outdoors that have sprouted and are a couple of inches tall. I have, indoors, some jalapenos sprouting, some lavender sprouting, some poppies sprouting, and a couple of Mammoth Sunflowers and Velvet Queen Sunflowers that are about five or six inches tall. They are having a hard time standing up!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fun updates everyone! It sounds like most everything is looking good. Keep them coming. :)

Mary, that Jatropha gossypifolia is a plant CRYING for a good English common name, but I haven't seen one. I usually just refer to the botanical name, or sometimes call it cotton-leaf Jatropha (gossypifolia means Gossypia-like foliage (Gossypia being the genus for cotton, and the foliage really does have a similar shape doesn't it?). In any case, it's not a castor bean, though you're right, the foliage sure looks similar to some of the dark-leaf castor beans (Ricinus) doesn't it? It's a relative of our native limber bush, and a lot of succulent Jatropha plants too. It needs a good common name! It drops its leaves in winter so I hardly water it then, but it leafs out early and keeps them until late autumn.

The plumie is planted in soil that's 50% native desert soil and 50% potting soil or compost. I slop some all purpose tomato fertilizer on it a few times spring through autumn. I've got a couple in the ground and they've all done really well, despite this past winter's unusually cold temps.

AJBB, hopefully your roses will outgrow the blackspot and you can get a potential irrigation fixed with the other plants. Let us know what you find out and how it goes.

Just for fun, here's a quick and casual pic of some blooms on my "California fuchsia" plant (Zauschneria) which blooms off an on early summer through very very late autumn.

{{gwi:406868}}

Happy gardening everyone,
    Grant

• User
    12 years ago

All of those are beautiful! I had some wild squash (that's what I call it) blooming big, white blossoms and my tulips are even managing to still bloom with all the mild weather we have had. Though now I'm afraid they will wither and die with temps about to reach the 110 mark. Sorry I don't have any pics to post/share, but thanks so much for sharing yours, Grant!

• euqruob
    12 years ago

I managed to get starfruit to sprout, along with Cherimoya!

And my Taro plant just sprouted today, after only 4 days in the pot. That thing is gonna get big...

For fun, I'm gonna pot up some fresh rambutan seeds tomorrow.

• ra
    12 years ago

will a Rambutan tree survive here in Phoenix?

• euqruob
    12 years ago

No, there is zero chance of a rambutan growing in AZ...even in a greenhouse. But, I want to try to get it to sprout.

• azdyj2k
    12 years ago

Grant, where did you get your dwarf plumeria and formosa lilies? Those are spectactular! Do you have any stargazer lilies growing?

• dlg421
    12 years ago

{{gwi:406869}}Yard photos JUNE 2011

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fun updates all, pics or not. It's really entertaining (and informative!) to see what's looking good or not so good in each other's gardens.

azdyj, I got the dwarf plumeria 'Divine' from a seller on ebay several years ago (cowboyflowerman I think was his username). I got the formosa lily from the great catalog/bulb company McClure & Zimmerman several years ago as well (I also got a Formosa lily x Amaryllis hybrid which also blooms reliably). I don't have any Star Gazer lilies, just tropical and subtropical ones. Does it do well here? Are you growing it??

Ramatheson, I copied/pasted your nice links but couldn't view the images, even when I logged in to Facebook. We'd love to see so if there's another way to send them, don't be shy.

dlg, your album is full of great photos. Everything looks really nice. I love your variegated pothos as a ground cover--fun! I had Salvia greggii at my last garden but don't have any now, and your great pic of yours is giving me a craving! Great stuff!

Just for fun, here's a Huernia zebrina that's been blooming on my covered patio this week. So easy to grow and such neat blooms!

{{gwi:406870}}

Keep the updates coming all,
    Take care,
    Grant (who, by the way, finally turned on the A/C today, June 19th--no more 56 dollar electric bills until autumn, LOL)

• plstqd
    12 years ago

Dlg, I'd love to know more about using pothos as a ground cover. What kind of light does it get, and how often do you water it? Does it root along the ground at all? I'd also love to know what that cute stuff with the little yellow flowers is that's in front of it.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Just came back from a 2-week trip ... should have set the drip for longer times. Nothing died, but most of the p-lants were not thriving.

EXCEPT: Matt's Wild Cherry tomato. Picked about a quart of them this morning, and dumped almost as many into the compost heap because they were over-ripe.

• dlg421
    12 years ago

plstqd,
    The pothos in under the eaves of my house on the north side so it is always shaded. I only water it every two weeks. Of course it does get more water from the roof if it ever rains. It roots wherever the stems touch the ground when there is sufficient moisture in the soil.

The small plants in front are impatients, which are in bud, but not blooming yet.

The tall plant to the side is equisetum.

• dlg421
    12 years ago

Grant, how can I post my photos so that they look like yours instead of being posted as a link?

• kelly_girl
    12 years ago

Looking good! I finally had the time to figure out the photo uploading here.

Here's our first cereus bloom of the year - I slept in a little, so it's on the verge of closing, but it's still one of my favorite things about Tucson summers!
    {{gwi:406871}}

Here's our lantana, cape honeysuckle, bouganvilla and texas ranger. All but the ranger was frozen to the ground and cut back to the base in March. So great to see them back! Hopefully the grass will look much better (or like grass) by July!
    {{gwi:406872}}

Not terribly impressive yet, but these next shots are all newly planted from late March, when we installed drip and many plants I'd been dreaming about for years!

Butterfly mist - first blooms
    {{gwi:406874}}

Pink rain lily - first bloom ever!
    {{gwi:406876}}

Mexican bird of Paradise and Red Bird of Paradise were volunteers prior to our planting, but now they are on drip and much happier. Here's the Mexican Bird of Paradise with tecoma stans gold star, orange jubilee, mexican petunia and a few others in the background.
    {{gwi:406878}}

Here's another night blooming cactus - Also the first of the season. I forget the name of the cactus! Notice the family of doves who have taken over the old cactus wren's nest. This is the third family this year! I think the babies just hatched within the last couple of days.
    {{gwi:406880}}
    {{gwi:406882}}

Okay, two more! I've wanted to post pictures for a few months now so I hope you don't mind me posting a ton this time:)

Newly planted fig tree - Planted it on Mother's Day to celebrate my first year as a mom.
    {{gwi:406884}}

This last one is another dream finally realized - well, the start of it at least! Our Father's Day weekend project was building a garden bed. We'll finally have some veggies growing this fall!
    {{gwi:406886}}

Thanks:) By the way, love the plumeria. I had one on my balcony in my apartment a few years back. I might have to look into planting one here in my yard!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great updates all! KellyGirl, I LOVE all of your pics! Never be shy about posting them here, we love to see and share pics. Your garden looks really lovely and I'm very envious of that raised bed! The cacti blooms are wonderful and those little doves on top of the old cactus wren nest are super cute. I've planted a lot of various cereus cacti in my garden and they're growing nicely but still not large/branched enough to get much attention from cactus wrens or any other birds for that matter, LOL.

Dlg, there are several ways to post pics, but what I do is (img src="https://.....where the image is hosted.jpg"/) buuuut replace the ( with .

Keep the updates coming!
    Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics (so far) June 2011

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor