Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias

Posted by FrangipaniAz z10 Az (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 13:31

Anybody here ever grow dahlias?? I got a "tuberish looking thing" from a nursery awhile ago and it's growing and happy looking... it even has to flower buds on it... is it too late and too hot for it to bloom?? If anyone can give me care advice as well that would be helpful.
Brittany

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias

Good luck, Brittany. If it were in my yard, I'd be kissing it goodbye! No luck with dahlias here...

o

About 3 yrs ago I spent a small FORTUNE on Dahlias :( The colors were incredible! Once the blooms were gone they got spindly and ugly and never bloomed again :(
NO MORE DAHLIAS

o

I am sort of interested here because my sister's name is Dalia (different spelling-same meaning). It would be nice to see if they would grow here.

o

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 19:44

Dahlias won't grow in the Phoenix metro area, even in a greenhouse. It just gets too hot.

Kevin

o

I was going to say, how in the heck you got the thing to grow in the heat. It would be a crispy thing in my area. I love dahlias, but I have only had luck with them when I buy in a four inch pot and it is already blooming. Where do you have it in shade or sun, outside, inside??
Carrie

o

It gets a decent amount of sun... but gets late afternoon shade... it's a small bush... it came in one of those Lowes' packs with gladiolas and other things... I wanted the glads because they were purple (and they are still trying to bloom as well)... I knew the dahlia shouldn't grow here but again, the glads were beautiful... I was shocked myself... just seeing the bud on there made me hope it would follow through... I'll keep you all updated... any more suggestions (or constructive criticism) is welcome :)
Brittany

o

Dahlia's are my favorite flower and I have been attempting to grow them in the Phoenix Area for 3 years without any success. I would gladly purchase them in a pot already growing if I could find them, and replace them as needed. Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here