Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calb_gardner

What are these grubs

calb_gardner
10 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners well I always have these grubs in my garden this year they seem to have multiplied by the zillions!!! The photograph is just from two shovelfuls of dirt .what are they and can I use my bare hands to pick them out or should I just leave them alone?

Comments (8)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Wow, I've never found that many! Whenever I do find 'em, I throw them over the fence to chickens in that yard. I don't really know what they are; they're just chicken caviar. ;o)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Yeah whatever they are, they're up to no good.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

A grub is a wannabe and it's really hard to tell just what that creature is going to be. Some adults are not too bad. At any rate, probably removing them is the best choice. They can't bite, so you can pick 'em up. I taught my GK's to do this so they wouldn't be so bug-a-phobic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grubs

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Those guys are up to no good trust me, I have had a history with them.
    They eat feeder roots on plants. I have had them eat a pepper plant root down to nothing, next morning the thing just fell over. They also eat bulbs and grass roots. Get rid of them or your plants will pay. Get some 7 granules and sprinkle it were they are and water it in. It will take awhile for the granules to break down and kill the little beasts.

• calb_gardner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Campv I have had dead patches in my grass so this might be the problem although I'm hesitant about putting anything in my yard I have a large African Sulcata tortoise that grazes on my grass , And to date my vegetable garden has been organic ..... Although that does not seem to be working ha ha ... Anyway , 7 granules ,does it break down into the soil in other words is it safe for a vegetable garden And my tortoise

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I'd be very careful about using this or any other insecticide with a ground -hugging critter like your tortoise. I applaud your efforts to grow organic; keep it up. We have poisoned the earth - and ourselves - with all this chemical crap that we've been assured is 'safe'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sevin

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

I would not use the granules anywhere around your tortoise he might eat it. I have used it in the soil of my veggies only when I really needed to. I am not organic but I try not use chem's if I can help it. Maybe if you get on line there is something else you can use on the grass to kill them and not harm the tortoise. I would not of recommended the 7 if I had known.

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

If grubs are found in grass areas they are probably Masked Chafers. According to UC Davis " Heterorhabditis bacteriophora are commercially available pathogenic nematodes that can effectively control masked chafers."

Here is a link that might be useful: Grub control