Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teacherlisa_gw

red wigglers

teacherlisa
18 years ago

Does anyone know of a local source for red wigglers? I am ready to start my worm bin. Thanks guys, you are such a help!

Lisa

Comments (19)

• lindalouise
    18 years ago

You probably aren't near Phoenix but I have bought worms from Kathy's worm farm - somewhere in the greater Phoenix area. I don't have the phone ## - but it is posted on the bulletin board at the Southwestern Gardener in Phoenix. I'm sure if you give them a call they can help you 602-279-9510. Maybe Kathy can suggest someone in your area.
    Linda

• rachelr
    18 years ago

I know you asked for *local*, but I usually get mine online from worm man. I've been a very happy customer.

:) Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Man's Worm Farm

• teacherlisa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• DesertHills
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa, did you get your worms yet? Where did you get them and what is the cost? I hope you won't mind my asking... I'm trying to find red wigglers ASAP.

Last week, staff at wormman.com said they can ship mid-July to Phoenix with guarantee of live delivery. However, after the order was placed, they claimed it's to hot to ship here with the guarantee and offered a refund. I can understand that, but I'm now stuck with a wormless-bin filled with rotting food scraps :( Fortunately, they don't smell bad :)

Thanks in advance!
    Esmé

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

Luckily there is a local source of Red Wigglers in our area. Kathy Chamberlin has her business, "Desert Worm Farm" in north Glendale. Her phone number is 623-486-9974. Very nice woman, and great to deal with.

• RdRnnr
    18 years ago

I'm curious if these are the same red wigglers available at bait shops, or if there's some sort of quality difference. Anyone know?

• drygulch
    18 years ago

I don't know for sure, but I very much doubt that they're any different.

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

They are the same. I have not found them at bait shops though. Called around a few years ago, and no one had them.

• DesertHills
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I'll call Kathy

• winter_plumage_AZ
    18 years ago

there's a little place called waterdog willy's or waterdog willie's in north phx. maybe on cave creek rd? look in phone book :>

• Capco
    18 years ago

Can I use these to loosen up rocky and clay soil? Can I just dump them around the plants at night and let them dig in?

• teacherlisa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI! I did not get mine yet, I found a source in tucson, and have been meaning to get there, as I want to see their operation. They are called Acme worm farm. The price was 25 dollars for a pound I think??? I was hoping to find somewhere that sold them in smaller quantities before I plunked down the cash.
    They are the same, but like others have posted I have not had any luck in bait shops, they only have the ones that go in the fridge. I am going to call Kathy as well- thanks so much for posting her number!
    Lisa

• RdRnnr
    18 years ago

Wow, they used to be standard in all the bait shops...guess I just dated myself, lol.

• DesertHills
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I picked-up the worms from Kathy's farm yesterday 1,000 for $12. They were near 67th Ave and Greenway. It was a good deal since I don't have to pay for shipping.

Lisa, I contacted Acme before, they were nice, but they won't ship worms to Phoenix during the hot summer. GL!

• newmrs91011
    11 years ago

i know this is an old forum bt it comes up in google for worms in phoenix. i wanted to let everyone know the kathys is no longer open to sell worms. :-(

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what they are, but I got two kinds of worms at Walmart (fish bait!) I got them because my darling GGS loves worms and wanted to put some in my containers. We did and they did great.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

If you start a compost pile, they will come. I had tons but they must be lying low with the heat of summer. Once it cools down they proliferate and I could give some out. I never bought them. They just appeared in the compost. They sure eat a lot. They turned a whole bin of scraps into 1/8 of the initial volume.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Hamilton Organics is a local source. Adam Hamilton, really nice young man trying to make a differnce and help to recycle kitchen scraps into good compost for the garden. He does not have a website up yet but I found him through findworms dot com.

He's helping me with my new vermicomposting 'hobby'. He's extremely patient and helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamilton Organics Contact Information

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

When I started my compost pile, they just showed up on their own. The compost bins are on top of rocky gravel. They may have come from the ground or you can buy some organic soil that has worm castings. There may be some eggs in there and they sure multiplied quickly. I could have started a business selling them I had so many. When the weather turned hot there are a lot less of them but now they are starting to come back.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists