Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbookworm

Compost tumbler vs Compost Box

azbookworm
13 years ago

I have a medium sized lot in Chandler, AZ. Want to put in a compost pile but really no room. I have seen the compost tumblers ( drum on a stand ) and the Box ( fill the top and compost magically comes out the bottom ).

Any suggestions? Tips? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• nutcr0cker
    13 years ago

If you want o be cheap...get a 55 gal drum -around 10$ CL
    get a 2"x6' wood frame screw in wheels below it for easy turning you would need around 25$ investment for it cheap easy and not too shabby. Someone sells that of 150$ on CL
    CL=craigslist

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

To do this right, imo anyway, you really need a three-step system.

One is for the current stuff being added daily.
    One is for the stuff still cooking beyond the day-to-day additions.
    One for finished compost waiting for the next 'gardening moment'.

Here's what I have settled into after about 3 years of composting.

I found a barrel composter at a yard sale for $75, this is my day-to-day barrel. When it gets full and difficult to 'flip', I empty it out onto the ground and turn it into a couple of plastic garbage cans that we cut the bottom out of and drilled LOTS of holes in.

Periodically, (once a month would be good but I don't get to it that often and frankly weekly would be better), I dump out the contents of the garbage can and reposition the now empty can as close to where it was before but all the debris is now piled up there. Now start shoveling it all back in, watering as you go. In a perfect world I would have first stopped at one or more Starbucks and picked up a bunch of coffee grounds so I could add a layer of grounds and some dry leaves that I always have around as I go.

When you can no longer identify anything in the pile, and it's nice and black and smells earthy, it's ready for the garden. Otherwise, it's still cooking.

Some of the cities around the Valley sell, for $5, recycle bins that they have cut the wheels and bottom section from and drilled a few holes in. I have one of these but never use it. I'm in NW Phx at 43rd Ave and Peoria and you can have this one if interested.

HTH. I think the stacking ones work great but are too pricey for my meager budget.

• DrynDusty
    13 years ago

I have much better compost with a simple pile, within a fence. It gets turned when we feel like it, which might be two or three times a year. That's far better results than when we had a Tumbler or the Box.
    Norm

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

we used 4 pallets:

Tied the pallets together with nylon rope.

wrapped with weed fabric.

wrapped that with 1/2" wire fencing.

We just keep tossing stuff on top (browns/greens etc). Keep moist (water weekly). Pile keeps shrinking, so we know it's working. We want a small chipper/shredder for our big stuff (pruned branches, royal palm, ficus, etc)

• softmentor
    13 years ago

I just take material that you might want to put in a compost bin and lay it in with the rest of my mulch in the mulch beds. To avoid it looking bad in an area where it could be unsightly, I have 2 solutions.
    1) I use an old 5 gallon paint bucket (free from any painter)and cut the bottom out. I use the bucket in an area that is hidden, then I put material in that till it's about full. Then I lift the bucket off, cover the unsightly material with some "pretty" mulch so it's not as visible, and move the bucket to the next spot.
    2) Just put the unsightly material down and cover it right away with attractive mulch.
    easy, and you don't have to turn and move the material twice.

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen