Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgaz

Rainbow Eucalyptus

msgaz
15 years ago

Has anyone grown these here in Az? And where can I purchase one online or get seeds?

Comments (17)

• popper1
    15 years ago

There are a few places online that have trees but they be pretty pricey. However, there has been a guy selling them on ebay lately. They can grow very fast when they are happy; I would think they will need much irrigation in AZ. Be sure to protect from frost particularly when small, they toughen up as they get some size.

• murmanator
    15 years ago

If this is a Euc. species that works in AZ (Im not familiar with it) then you can get it at Australian Outback Plantation. They have a retail shop in Tonopah.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian Outback

• msgaz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You popper1 and murmanator!

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

If still needed mine will be ready in about 3 months

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

That link didn't work for me. I looked it up and this site says it is "a humid, tropical grower" - not exactly our climate. I don't know your circumstances, but as one who made the ridiculous decision to plant eucs in my yard, I'd say find another beautiful tree. Just my 2 cents based on experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: rainbow eucalyptus

• sherizona
    11 years ago

I had one. I got it from LariAnn online. She's in Florida. I think it was about 80 dollars with the shipping. I planted it in March back in 2010 (I am in north phx). It grew like crazy, doubled in size...then the winter came. It burned to the ground, even with protecting it as best I could. I left it in the ground and about 2 months into the summer it finally showed some signs of life. Whatever signs it showed promptly burned to a crisp and even with shade the tree just couldn't handle it.

When it was growing I had to water it every single day. It likes humidity which is an uphill battle here.

I purchased some seeds from a guy in the UK (I think he's on ebay) and I managed to sprout a couple of seedlings. I'm going to try to keep these as indoor plants, at least for the summer and winter season.

There are lots of eucs with lovely bark that grow here. I have some silver dollars and red gums in full sun. They grow the entire year in my yard.

Hope that helps. It's an incredible tree if you can work some magic but just be warned, it's nearly a miracle if you can get it to live more than a year or two in our extreme temps.

Here is a link that might be useful: LariAnn's Eucs

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

This is the one I should have bought. It's a beautiful tree and not as huge as lots of the others. It does do well here, unlike the rainbow euc.

Here is a link that might be useful: eucalyptus spathulata

• richsd
    11 years ago

There are some beautiful Euc. deglupta trees in San Diego. Sunset lists it is hardy to 24-26 degrees.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting that, TF, that's one of the ones I believe I have -of 3 that I cannot identify. There's another one with dense, weeping, silver leaves - any ideas?

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

PC, scroll down till you get to cinerea; this may be your tree. However there are others with different leaf shapes that also have that silvery look. This is the list to end all lists for anyone wanting info about eucalyptus. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: silver dollar euc

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Eucalyptus deglupta (Rainbow Eucalyptus) hails from the rainforests of Mindanao, which is the southernmost and easternmost island in the Philippine island group. This means that the tree is a humid tropical grower and as such can be grown outdoors only in south and coastal central Florida.

doesn't sound promising ... it's a tropical jungle plant, and last I looked, we're in a subtropical desert.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Mmm - no cigar on that one, but when I get a chance, I'll take a look at some of their other pics, maybe I can find it. Or maybe I should just read the directions on how to post a picture, huh?

• grant_in_arizona
    8 years ago

Neat Plant Report, Jeremy, thanks for posting it. Keep us posted on how your rainbow eucalyptus do long-term, that will be the real test, winters especially. I sure hope they become everything you hope for. I've seen them in person in other climates and just love them. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

• Jeremy Klettlinger
    8 years ago

Will do!

• exoticatropicals
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good to hear that the Rainbows survived the intense Arizona summer. I'm originally from Phoenix/Tempe and I know how hot and dry it can get there- and having worked with Rainbows for many years, I know how they need to stay hydrated. Heat is usually not an issue- but they don't like to dry out. It sounds like you are doing a great job with them. Do keep us updated, as I've often wondered how they would do there.. they can be grown in LA and San Diego, but Arizona is another beast.. You mention being worried about a hard freeze- if within reason, a frostcloth wrap can help- if not, there are some heaters available at Home D that you can screw onto the top of a 20lb propane tank.. one of those set under the tree overnight would probably help. I'm in the Phoenix area around the holidays each year- if they can be viewed from the street I'd be interested in driving by to take a look sometime. I can be reached at the link below:

Buy Rainbow Eucalyptus - Eucalyptus deglupta for sale

• Jeremy Klettlinger
    8 years ago

They aren't yet, but I bet they'll be visible from the street by the end of this summer. I'll let you know! I hard pruned both of them all the way to the trunk a few weeks ago since they put on more branches/leaves than they could handle in their first season, so right now they are just sticks again, and I left just the very newest growth at the top. Can't wait to see what they do this spring/summer.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!