Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
az_pamperedchef

I'm gonna be a mom!!!

az_pamperedchef
13 years ago

On a happy note (I just posted some photos of my sad tomato plants) my cucumber and watermelon plants seem to be doing well.

Watermelon ~ the baby is only about the size of a pencil eraser, but I'm still excited!

{{gwi:407283}}

Pickling Cucumbers ~ have this growing up through my Donut Peach tree. They about the thickness of a dry eraser marker and 2" long

{{gwi:407284}}

Japanese Cucumbers ~ still very little, about an inch and very thin, but you can tell they're cukes!

{{gwi:407285}}

Comments (6)

• greendesert
    13 years ago

wow, congrats, who's the father? lol

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Cigars all around ... :)

Those babies are cute. Won't be too long now and you'll get some biggies out of that vine. Is that the Black Diamond?

Nice looking cukes, wish I had thought far enough ahead to plant "pickling" cukes instead of slicers :(

Our slicers are getting HUGE, gotta get some pics to share, just hate digging in their with all them itchy hairs LOL

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greendesert~ Bees are the father, of course! ;-)

Thank you Mangled, I am so excited. I've already had 2 pickling cukes, remember the salad I posted before? I'm not sure of the watermelon ~ I bought the transplant and it was just marked "watermelon". My family LOVES watermelon so I figured I couldn't go wrong with it. And yes, post some pics!

• xica_da_silva
    13 years ago

Congrats! In my opinion those plants are both lovely, even if they didn't produce anything at all. I especially like the shape of those watermelon leaves. It's hard to conceive that something so large can come out of such tiny pods. Amazing!

• judy_b
    13 years ago

What I found so discouraging about watermelons is that you think you have babies forming but they aren't really fertilized and just drop off. You have to have male flowers blooming at the same time as females to get perma-babies. I hope that's what yours are because it's so sad when they aren't.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Congratulations! The pics are really fun. Keep us posted! Hopefully, like Judy mentioned, your watermelon bloom got pollinated and your baby will swell up in no time. I always hand-pollinate when there are male and female blooms present at the same time (just in case the bees missed the opportunity, LOL). I've even been known to collect pollen and put in the fridge for later use in case I don't have any open when a female bloom opens. I know, I know, obsessive!

In any case, everything looks great. Can't wait to see a pic of a big plate of watermelon slices!

Keep the updates coming!
    Take care,
    Grant