Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanz_box

OK, out of whack & harvested ...now what?

beanz_box
10 years ago

This is my first post and my first true garden in the valley of the sun and I worked hard for it. :) I had bermuda (need I say more?)
All started when my 5yr old little boy 'planted' (pushed in damp unprepared earth) pumpkin seeds last Halloween after carving.
Saw the first signs of life (or realized what I was looking at) and decided to add to it in Feb/March.- corn, cucumber, zucchini, romaine, pole and bush beans, carrots and watermelon a little later.
Corn put out nice ears after I hand pollinated.(i was a proud mama corn) And half were yummy- others I guess I waited too long to harvest or to eat because were starchy.
Now what do I do with the stalks? How should I proceed? pull them out?
Also my pole beans are beautiful, but because of the heat (i assume) are not putting out. My little bush beans gave me about 30. still putting out slowly. romaine is pretty much a goner. I have 10 pumpkin harvested and the poor little patch is still flowering although mostly trampled by the "BAD DOG" (who also dug up some carrots). What to do with pumpkin in June?- going to carve and set outside one nite I guess. Keep the neighbors guessing.
Anyway...What do I do now? I am over the zucchini. corn is done. Is it time to put other stuff in the ground? Do I just pull one out and put in another? Does the soil need a 'rest' or mending? I want to keep going with other plants but not sure how to proceed. Thank you for any and ALL advice.
p.s. anybody know how to carve zucchini into a canoe?

Comments (5)

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Sounds like you need to let the kid plant ;-) There are indeed a few things that will survive the heat:

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/the-100s-are-here

Put a scoop of finished compost (the reason to compost) into the spot and mix in a bit before planting new seed. That is it.

This time of year you may need shade cloth---put up high enough it even works to shade you. Watering is pretty intense (2-3 times a day). It may behoove you to install a drip system on timer---drip tape with holes every 4" is relatively cheap online (sprinklerworld may have it too).

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting calender for PHX:

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I'd leave the pumpkin patch alone; just water and watch. You should get a nice fall crop of pumpkins. If you can find blackeye pea transplants that are the *vining* type, plant them beside the corn stalks and you'll have a natural 'trellis'. Plus, the corn will provide a bit of shade for them.

And, yes, the recommendation to add shade is right on. I'm not sure I'd water 2 or 3 times a day, but if you mulch heavily - 2 or 3 inches - a daily dose of water should be sufficient. If you don't mulch, the soil will dry out so fast, your plants will suffer.

As for the pumpkin, there are lots of uses. Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: what to do with a pumpkin

• AZGardenQueen
    10 years ago

Yes, what tomatofreak said, and a really cheap and incredibly effective mulch can be found at your local feed store. Just go down and but 1 bale of straw which will set you back about $7. You may have to pluck out 1 or 2 blades of "grass" that pop up, but you won't find a more effective mulch for the money! It really locks the moisture in and you'll have a ton left over for future crops - get that child in 4-H, he has a future there!

• beanz_box
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate your time. I am very pleased with myself as I seem to be on the right track. I have shade- ( used arched plastic trellis/lattice, pvc and small rebarr stakes. then I found some scrap sun screen at the Goodwill and clipped that to the trellis. I also found some linen that is light weight which allows some sunlight through- i stapled 2 ends to the roof eave and the other 2 ends I stuck old broom sticks in the ground and just tied the linen to them . It does make the garden a little less asthetically appealing, but I believe it did the garden well, And I used the STRAW as well. but didnt have to pay $7. I asked for scrap and me and the boy were able to fill up our grocery bags for nothing.
    Thank you so much - anyone have pole beans doing well?
    4H awesome suggestion
    -Bean

• AZGardenQueen
    10 years ago

Good for you on being so resourceful, Bean! Yes, I have Jade beans that are still doing well but they need a bit more water with this heat. The mulch really does help, so good luck!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner