Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Budget Gardening

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 15:43

I found this excerpted article on MEN. It's common sense, but still worthy of a read, I think. I'm of the mind that if it's not free, it should at least be cheap. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Budget Gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Budget Gardening

Very interesting article. While I prefer "real" nurseries, big box can be a good deal if you know what you are looking for. I just got several 75% off plants at Lowes this wkd. Of course, cuttings are my favorite, either given/ traded, or even better, stolen at night from an unsuspecting front yard or hanging over a fence ; )

o

Funny you mention unsuspecting yards at night... I have spotted a few people snag seed off my Ungnadia. Not like its a rare plant...

o

Yes, but it's the thrill lol.

o

I like retrieving 'cuttings' from big box floors. Plants like succulents are often right on the edge of the shelves where people knock off pieces. Not that I ever do... :O

o

I do the same thing! Too funny!

o

I carry some small fold up scissors in my purse..my husband takes me on "mental health" drives on the weekends ( I don't get out much, lol) Often we stop and admire someones yard, many times I have knocked on their doors and asked for a cutting from their beautiful plant, never have been turned down. Most of us like to be complimented on how hard we have worked to have something more than just desert, lol. And I have picked up bits and pieces off floors and started them..it's fun and a challenge to start with something like that and end up with a big beautiful plant..

o

I love your method. Methinks I need to take a 'mental health drive' of my own! With scissors, of course.

o

Since we are confessing.....I once rescued a ponytail palm from an office entryway. That poor, poor plant was hungry for light and thirsty for water and ferts. I had been walking by that plant for weeks and it was breaking my heart. So one day as I walked by, going out the door for home, I just grabbed that baby by the neck and yanked her out. That was about 10 years ago. She rewarded me by growing into a beauty. I've transplanted her several times and am now thinking of planting her in mother earth. When it's light I'll get a picture.

o

Here she is.....the plan is to plant her pretty much in that spot, maybe out a little. Hubby does not want anything that needs water too close to the foundation.

o

And if we're talking small budget gardening, we bring 'containers' home from camping in the wilderness. Here's a juniper stump repurposed as a growing container for the bower vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here