Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangledmind

nutcr0cker - your jackfruit plant

mangledmind
13 years ago

My guess is that it needs a hardening off period before it can go outside full time.

Here's some additional info:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jackfruit_ars.html

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jackfruit.html

Comments (7)

• nutcr0cker
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link. I am trying to harden it but even 15 min in az evening causes the leaves to die. For now I am planning to leave it in the containment unit(basically plastic glasses laid in each other) If I figure out the photos here, will post a photo of the contraption. I am almost done with installing misters in my veggie garden. So might be okay there. Thank you again

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Be careful of the misters. All the junk in our water cakes the leaves and then the plant cant breathe

• kccav
    13 years ago

Is it a seedling you grew yourself? I have a few jackfruit seedlings I grew from seed indoors. I hardened them off by putting them on the east side of my house with an outdoor umbrella over (in front of)them. They only get the morning sun.

• nutcr0cker
    13 years ago

Is it a seedling you grew yourself?---yes I grew it from seeds. Ill try the morning sun approach.
    I am planning very short misting(2 min/2pm & 6 pm) but will dis continue if i see any damage.

• brisly76
    10 years ago

I went to an Asian market and bought a jack fruit and got close to 100 seeds. I planted them all over the yard and watered all of them. I have about 5 or so growing in almost direct sun. Most that I planted in the garden area are shooting up like weeds. My best luck was planting them in potting soil on my porch I have a 3 month old plant that 2 feet tall. When winter hits I'm sure most wont make it but if they do that would be great

• captaininsano (9b/13) Peoria, AZ.
    10 years ago

I have two seedlings I planted from seeds in a 5 gallon bucket in April both are about 2.5 feet tall now an in direct sun for about 5 hours a day, I know I will need to get them in the ground but they seem to be doing well in this heat, even in a container. I don't know if they will make it through the winter so I may keep take them indoors.

• brisly76
    10 years ago

Mine reached about 3 feet and then I put some citrus fertilizer on them the next morning they were dead. I had a second wave of them I planted from a much better tasting fruit I learned my lesson and hope they are close to 3 feet by October. The ones in pots will come inside the ones in the ground will face the wrath of winter. Hopefully they will keep growing.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz