Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID: Thorny Tree at ASU

Posted by pteroceltis z5 Syracuse (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 16:50

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an identification. I bumped into a very thorny tree with simple, glossy, variably-shaped leaves on the ASU Tempe Campus. More specifically, the tree is on the east end of Discovery Hall, just off the Cady Mall walking area. The leaves are alternate and mostly round, although some of the shoots bear leaves with some blunt lobing; some have notched apices. The bark is smooth and gray but the plant is still pretty young (10-15' tall). The leaves are very glossy. No signs of fruits or flowers. The thorns are about 3-4" long on average and are simple. I just graduated from ASU (plant biology) and this is the only plant on campus I haven't been able to ID yet. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID: Thorny Tree at ASU

The ASU Botany department should have the names of all the trees on campus...they used to have signs.

BTW, have you found the Sapote tree on campus yet?

o
RE: ID: Thorny Tree at ASU

Indeed I have, if you mean Casimiroa edulis. ASU doesn't have a botany department, and their plant sciences have been steadily going downhill. They still have some great professors in plant bio but I've heard that a lot of good ones retire or leave and aren't being replaced. Pretty much the same is happening with the arboretum; a lot of plants listed online have died and not been replaced. In one case I found a healthy Bauhinia lunarioides which was recently removed for mysterious reasons. I noticed sadly that I was the only Plant Biology major listed in the commencement program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here