Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why aren't my Sweet 100's ripening?

Posted by sparklynnrose Tempe / 8ish (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 16:59

Soooo I have 50 gazillion Sweet 100's on the vine, and they're all "stuck" at orange. I don't think it's water or sun. I've been semi-sporadic with feeding -- is there maybe a nutrient of some sort they're missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why aren't my Sweet 100's ripening?

How do they taste?

o

I have LOTS of green tomatoes at the moment. I don't think they are going to ripen. What makes the tomato fruit ripen once it's large enough? With 6 plants, all that went into the ground mid to late-Feb, and they are all short DTM, what gives?

I have picked just a few, very few, just as they began to blush then ripened on the counter. All have been very tasty, two BER toms.

o

The Sweet 100's taste NOT SWEET. :) They're definitely not ripe.

My Huskies are ripening fine, and I've had a few Celebrities and Romas. The Sweet 100's are in a different spot, though, so technically the soil could be different.

o

sparklynnrose,

Found a simple explanation from Purdue University that I thought might help.

I've also read that once fruit sets that watering should be decreased because our extreme heat my cause the fruit to burst/split. Something to do with the plants pumping so much water to fruit that the skin cannot keep pace (defense mechanism or some such, I cannot find the book quote exactly)

Another link that is pretty informative:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-26.PDF

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes Not Ripening?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here