Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cast1_gw

Marigolds

CAST1
11 years ago

Did anyone plant marigolds this year? Are they still alive ?

Comments (11)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Yes. No. I bought transplants - half a flat - and they all died.

• jeff_12422
    11 years ago

I planted late, so no flowers yet, but they're still alive.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Did you start with seeds? Has anyone started marigolds with seeds this late in season?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Not this late. I cannot get much of anything to germinate outside right now.....including bush beans, okra or armenian cukes. [sigh]

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Hmmm.... am trying some sunflower seeds, might be watering for nuthin'....

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Your sunflowers will come up; don't worry!

• jeff_12422
    11 years ago

I did start from seed, but back in March. The only seeds I'm starting now are sunflowers and some local tomatoes, and even the tomatoes should probably wait a few weeks...

• Kathleen W
    11 years ago

I've been sowing marigold seeds and don't see any new ones starting lately. But I've got 2 French marigolds left from last summer. One got very leggy but it looks great in full bloom hanging 14" down over the edge of a pot full of Armenian cuke, eggplant and gazania. The other stayed relatively normal size and I just planted more of the same veggies in with it as well as some basil that is just now sprouting.

I had so many flowers last year on the half dozen marigolds I grew that I have a lot of seed and have been broadcasting in my big containers and on the ground since March. I've only had a few come up but they are doing just fine so far. I think some of this may well be that I am not keeping all the areas damp enough for long enough to get them up and established. I do love them as they are very cheerful looking and seem pretty tough so I wouldn't mind having them all over the place.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

I put Marigolds in early, in a small flower bed in front of the veggie garden fence, they get some overflow when I flood the Asparagus bed, I amended the soil with potting mix and horse manure. They do great. Tried them without the manure and where they did not get as much water and they failed..so I guess a richer soil and damp makes them happy.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

So, it's too late now to plant seeds? How about fall? Do you think seeds planted in late summer might survive the temperate 'winter' months? (I say winter like that because we generally don't have any, unless it's a few days of killing frost.)

I got the Burgundy okra seeds to sprout!! I'm holding off on the happy dance till I see if they survive now that they're up. I've got a bed all prepped for okra and sunflowers, so cross your fingers for me.

• nina_gretta
    11 years ago

I planter them and they are doing great.

Sponsored