Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makeupartistfl

New to Cave Creek need fruit tree advice!

Carol Bieber
9 years ago

I moved here about 13 months ago. I planted 20 fruit trees with drip system. All made it threw the mild winter. Two of the dwarf peach trees have several peaches on them. The peaches have not gotten any bigger in several weeks. Is it because they have only been in the ground a year? Should I just pull them off and hope for a better result next year? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Carol

Comments (6)

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I pull all fruit off (if any) of my fruit TREES as soon as I spot them (dime sized) the first two years because I want them growing roots in this Phoenix environment, not fruit. The exception are peach/nectarine trees that I pull off just the first year because peach trees are so vigorous and short lived I figure they establish their roots quicker and I am only going to get so much fruit before they die.

In your case it is too late to pull them off now and do any good so you might as well enjoy them when they get ripe. What cultivar is it? Yes, the fruit may be small because it is young. It also is because fruit doesn't get as big as it does in the stores unless you absolutely optimize watering and fertilizing and thinning and hit it with growth hormone.

Also ALL fruit grows biphasic. Big spurt of growth followed by a lull followed by a second burst of growth where the fruit ripens. Might want to bag them on the tree unless you like to feed the birds.

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 20:43

• Carol Bieber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To; Fascist_Nation; Thanks for writing to me. I could not write back because your email is not available. To answer your question in your note to me the variety is Pix Zee Dwarf Peach. I don't think the peaches are going to get any bigger. Been the same along time. Trees look healthy and they get plenty of water and fertilizer.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I would have expected Pix Zee to be ripe around now.

• Carol Bieber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To: Fascist_Nation,
    Not even close to being ripe! About the size of a fifty cent piece and hard as a rock. Should I just pull them off?
    I read your bio! I would love it if you email me I want to tell you about the more than 30 biologists in the past to years that have mysteriously died. That is off topic for here so don't want to write about it. Please email me!
    I won't give out your email, I promise!
    Carol

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

nah, just leave them and hopefully enjoy them when ripe. I'd like to hear whether the tree's canopy did a good job of protecting the fruit from the scorching sun as I am hoping these genetic dwarfs will do.

• Carol Bieber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are just small trees that I got at Home Depot and Lowes. So they are not big at all. But look healthy and get plenty of water. I'm happy they lived threw last summer and the mild winter we had. Please email me at my email address....Carol

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County